Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh to Glasgow airport

What is the best way to get from Haymarket in Edinburgh to Glasgow Airport, flight leaves at 11 a.m.?

Posted by
1637 posts

How long do you need to be at Glasgow airport before hand?

Train it would be the Crosscountry service into Glasgow Central, then the commuter service to Paisley Gilmore Street.

It would be better if you can get accomodation at the airport or in Glasgow the night before.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you, see there is a 6 a.m. Train so should be able to make it, much appreciated.

Posted by
3122 posts

I agree with MC-Glasgow, I'd stay overnight near the airport. At Glasgow Airport there is both a Holiday Inn and a Holiday Inn Express right on the airport campus, literally a stone's throw from the terminal. Covered walkway to wheel your luggage from hotel to terminal. I would not want the stress of getting to the station at dawn and depending on the train to be on time, then having to check in and clear security.

Posted by
2637 posts

I too would stay overnight at Glasgow airport,several hotels there and I have used the Travelodge there a couple of times, 5 minute walk to the terminal.

Posted by
14927 posts

I would take a different route:

Train from Haymarket to Glasgow Queen Street Station. Walk out the east entrance, cross the street, and get the #500 airport bus that will drop you off at the Glasgow airport terminal building.

Paisley Gilmour station is a mile from the airport and you would then have to get the 757 bus to the terminals.

I've taken the 500 bus and it is designed with seats and luggage racks because it is the airport service.

I would do this the night before your flight as well to be safe.

Posted by
899 posts

I agree with MC-Glasgow, I'd stay overnight near the airport. At Glasgow Airport there is both a Holiday Inn and a Holiday Inn Express right on the airport campus, literally a stone's throw from the terminal. Covered walkway to wheel your luggage from hotel to terminal. I would not want the stress of getting to the station at dawn and depending on the train to be on time, then having to check in and clear security."

I totally agree, that is exactly how did we did on last trip to Scotland. No stress!

Ed

Posted by
5678 posts

I would stay in Glasgow the night before that flight. You can do it, but you will have to get up mighty early. And it's a long flight home. You'll want to stay up once you get home to start fighting your jet lag. And it is harder if you've had an early AM. You can stay in downtown Glasgow and get to the airport with reasonable departure time from the city centre.

Posted by
14927 posts

If you want to stay in Glasgow the night before, and rather than at the airport, there is a Premier Inn, Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express on West Nile Street. These are one block from the Buchanan bus terminal where you can get the 500 bus to the airport.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks everyone for all the replies. We talked to the Edinburgh Travel Shop fellows (transit workers) to get more info and they recommended the train and the #500 bus. This worked seamlessly for us. Apparently the trains start extremely early in the morning so no need to overnight in a hotel.

We took the 6 am train which got us into Glasgow Queen St station at about 7:10 am, walked out the door and across the street and caught the number 500 bus to the Glasgow airport, a 5 minute wait. Plenty of racks for our large bags. Arrived at the airport at around 7:50 am. We were on a flight to Heathrow, then Vancouver so we did have to wait an hour and 15 minutes for the check in to open. If we had been on an international flight, I would recommend leaving Haymarket earlier, at say 5 am or so. Anyway, the Travel Shop is across the street from Haymarket and also one in the station and they sell the tickets and are very helpful. The only confusing part the morning we left was there was no one around that early to ask any questions about the Glasgow trains. There are only 2 trains to Glasgow at that hour, make sure you take the Glasgow Queen St train and not the Glasgow Central train. Luckily the fellow at the travel shop had made us a print out which specifically stated Glasgow Queen St.

Perhaps the fact that it was so early and not much traffic made this very easy, but if leaving later I would just give it a bit more time. We were happy to wait around for our flight ie be a bit too early. BTW fare for the whole trip including bus was £19.50, senior rate.