Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh Military Tattoo

Hi, has anyone been to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo? Thoughts? Thankyou, Cathy

Posted by
4069 posts

Yes, August 2022, finishing up a 5 week trip. I decided to spend a couple days in Edinburgh to see an artist at the Fringe I love. I had no intention of attending the Tattoo because I was solo and I really don’t like crowds. However my B&B hostess about my age persuaded me it was great. I got a ticket front and center online last minute (only being 1 person helped) and was very glad I did. It was just a lot of fun. And afterwards, the crowds just calmly walked back down the hill in an organized, non-crowded way. In the thousand or more people, I turned a corner and came face to face with the couple from England I sat next to on the train a couple days prior! Lol!

Think Scottish-themed, varied, historical, long half-time show. That’s the best U.S. wording I can come up with to kind of convey what it is.

Posted by
1833 posts

It is different and a real experience. If you have chance, go for it!

Posted by
9560 posts

It’s a wonderful spectacle and well worth the time and money.

Posted by
1317 posts

Yes, do it. The show is a lot of fun and I totally enjoyed myself in September 2022. It was one of the main reasons for me scheduling my trip early in September., along with experiencing the Braemar Highland games a couple of days later. Seeing the castle lit up at night with a solo piper atop was just beautiful. I won’t say anything more…….

Posted by
387 posts

I saw the Edinburgh Tattoo in August 2022. I liked it OK; I'm glad I went but having done it once, I wouldn't go again. Seeing the Tattoo was a high priority for my traveling companion, who loves bagpipe music and had watched YouTube videos of many previous Edinburgh Tattoos.. Even she was mildly disappointed in how the Tattoo had "modernized" by shifting towards fewer massed bands/bagpipers and towards more modern music acts. The U. S, Army Band performed; I was sorely disappointed that they did not play a single Sousa march.

Posted by
2427 posts

Hi,

We have been twice. It is a wonderful show and, if you are lucky, there are nights when the RAF does a flyover at the very beginning of the tattoo. I agree with the others that this year’s show was a little bit disappointing compared to the first tattoo we went to several years prior. That being said I am still glad we went. Every year the show is different. If you want tickets to this year’s show and want certain seats, you had better get busy and book those tickets asap.

Posted by
647 posts

We went to the Tattoo upon recommendation of our B & B hosts on a prior trip to Scotland. So, attending the Tattoo was the purpose of our short trip to Edinburgh a couple of years later.
I love that type of music; the bagpipes, marching bands, etc., and it was special being among people from Scotland. We struck up a conversation with 3 locals who were sitting in front of us….and we soon found ourselves sharing their whiskey bottle (It was all part of the experience)….even tho’ I do not drink whiskey. But that’s another story. So, the Tattoo itself was very enjoyable, but….
We probably wouldn’t go again because hotel prices are higher, the Royal Mile is so crowded, restaurants are packed,…and the view of the castle from the Royal Mile is obscured because of the Tattoo.