Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh Lodging

Near the beginning of planning a two week trip in October including Scotland and England with perhaps a night in Wales. Will begin the trip in Edinburgh for three nights and was looking for a few suggestions on lodging. Would like to be within walking distance to many of the sites associated with visiting Edinburgh. Three to four stars with nearby restaurants and pubs.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Also, when leaving Edinburgh I would like to see some of the Highlands. Was thinking of taking a train to Inverness for an overnight and renting a car in the morning and making my way toward Glasgow through maybe Oban. Then overnight in Glasgow. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Posted by
8145 posts

We tried to go to Scotland last June. And we were very surprised how fast the hotels and tourism sights fill up for the Summer. It's an extremely busy (and expensive) place to visit then.

If you can go earlier than October, you might have a better trip. Edinburgh doesn't see but 99 hours of light in October. And it's extremely rainy @ 75 inches of rain in 12 days of the month.. Temperatures usually run 50 degree highs and 44 degrees at night.

Many people will start their Scotland drip in Edinburgh or Glasgow and go up into the mountains toward the northwest coast. It is a very beautiful country and larger than many people realize. It may be one of those places you need to pick another month to see.

A very popular U.K. chain of hotels is the Premier Inn. We found it very modern and decently priced on our two stays there last year. You might want to check where you intend to visit for that brand.

Posted by
1120 posts

You will find that there is a school holiday week in October (for Highland council schools it's 14 to 21 October 2024). This might push accommodation prices up. And different council areas might vary which week in October they take their break. Also the daylight saving kicks in on 27th October, so you will lose an hour of daylight from then onwards.

If what you are looking for is a brief 'highlights of the highlands' tour then you might be best looking at a 2 day Rabbies tour from Edinburgh. They use small vans (mini buses) and are well regarded. Would save you the hassle of getting up to Inverness and renting a car.

For accommodation most people like the Premier Inn chain and they have a decent one on York Place in Edinburgh.

Posted by
5763 posts

75 inches of rain in 12 days of the month

That figure is totally wrong. It may be 7.5 inches, but 75 inches no way. Even 7.5 inches in 12 days I would find hard to believe as a long term average. Sources please.

I've fact checked for you and think that should read 75mm which is just 3 inches.

Seattle gets 5 inches on average in October to give context, and Birmingham, Alabama 3.78 inches.

99 hours of light in the month is also a rubbish statistic.- just over 3 hours a day- please!!

Posted by
183 posts

I agree. We did a RS tour of Scotland- 13 days starting October 1 in 2022 and had a great time. A little cool but just used a jacket. Rain the arrival day in Edinburgh and on west side (Oban and Glencoe) but otherwise great weather. We stayed at the Market Street Hotel 1 night before the tour and 2 nights after. Near the Royal Mile and the train station.

Posted by
2427 posts

A second vote for Motel One Princes. We were in Scotland in August 2022 and the only rain we had was a couple of hours in Stirling. It was mostly sunny on the other days when we were there. YMMV.

Posted by
1605 posts

We enjoyed our stay at the Ibis Hotel at St. Andrews Square in Edinburgh. Perfect location. We walked everywhere.

Posted by
2367 posts

We were in Edinburgh last October for a.week leaving on 10/6 for London and only had one evening of a misty rain, not enough to keep us from walking from our hotel for dinner. I just checked the weather for 10/23 for Scotland and their official weather site show 3.17 inches of rain for the month and the official daylight hours went from I think it said 12 hours down to ten with daylight savings. You should be fine but of course mother nature has the final say!