Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh in May 2020, 4 nights

What are the “must do’s” in 4 days...We will be going to St Andrews one of these days. Royal Mile Shopping? Edinburgh Castle? Best Whisky tasting rooms? Aberfeldy Whisky Tasting? Stirling Castle?
Thanks for any and all input!! Doing a Rick Steves Tour in Ireland, but Scotland is on our own...8 people.

Posted by
27112 posts

The must-do's depend on your interests, which may vary among the members of your group. Most people on this forum who have been to Edinburgh or plan a trip there do mention Edinburgh Castle. The only thing about the castle (crowded, expensive) that sounded interesting to me was the National War Museum, so I skipped the castle. I thought the National Museum of Scotland was very good, with a variety of displays that would appeal to all ages. I especially appreciated that even the more technical displays were beautiful and/or very attractively arranged. There are also several art museums in Edinburgh. But again, it depends on the interests of the individual traveler. You need to pick up Rick's guidebook and pass it around among your group.

Posted by
1 posts

On the way up to St Andrew, make sure you drive over the Queensferry Bridge! You can stop in South Queensferry and look back at the Queensferry Bridge and the Forth Road Bridge - both marvellous feats of engineering. If you were there for an extra night I would recommend detouring on the way home from St Andrews and visiting the Speyside Whiskey Distilleries - they're the oldest ones in the country (maybe the world?!) - well worth a visit :)