Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh in December

Looking for recommendations on what to see and where to go without renting a car when visiting in December. Spending four days and would like to spend at least a day outside Edinburgh perhaps through an organized tour. Also, should we take a day trip to Glasgow? History, art and architecture are our main interests, and doing a lot of walking is fine with us. Thanks!

Posted by
1835 posts

Glasgow is definitely worth at least a day . It is culturally very different to Edinburgh and there is lots to do and see there. It has a frequent train service.

There is Rosslyn Chapel, easily done by bus from Edinburgh. Alternatively think about St Andrews (train to Leuchars and then bus). Stirling is also easily done on the train.

Posted by
6323 posts

How many nights do you have in Edinburgh? Four full days would mean 5 nights, so if you only have 4 nights, that gives you 3 days. Three nights gives you 2 days and so on. This makes a difference.

If you have four full days, then yes, I think you might enjoy a trip to Glasgow, which is a vibrant city that is very different from Edinburgh. There are some gorgeous places to see there in December like the Kelvingrove museum, and the Necropolis, which even in winter would be worth a visit. There are fun shops and other wonderful sights, and it's a relatively easy trip by train.

If you only have 3 full days, then I would probably skip Glasgow and take a day trip to Stirling Castle, which would be doable either on your own or on a day tour. I liked seeing it on my own, as the castle itself offers a free guided tour every hour, which is a wonderful way to find out the history of the castle, and some of the other day tours do not give you much time at the castle.

The castle itself is incredible and unlike Edinburgh Castle, which focuses on the military aspect, Stirling Castle is all about the royals. I actually preferred it over Edinburgh Castle. It is easy to get to by train from Edinburgh and the train ride is around 45 minutes. The town of Stirling is also well worth seeing, with many historical sites like the Church of the Holy Rude and also has quite a few fun shops and lovely cafes.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks, Mardee. We will arrive on a Monday and leave Friday, so only 3 full days. Appreciate your insight!