Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh Hotel Recommendations

We will start our September 2023 trip in Edinburgh, before heading south to England. I would appreciate your recommendations for a well-located hotel in Edinburgh.

Has anyone stayed at the Malmaison? The latest reviews are all over the place.

Thanks!

Posted by
6384 posts

We just stayed at the Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre Royal Mile. It’s a block off the Royal Mile and by the train station. We liked the location. The hotel was clean and I’d have no problem staying at it again.

Posted by
8252 posts

We did Premier Inn York Place. Last stop on tram line from airport is at the front door of the hotel. Some upper floor rooms have lovely view of harbor. About 5-10 minute walk from train station.

Posted by
345 posts

We stayed at Malmaison in June. It is modern and well located just off St. Andrew Square, immediately next to hop on hop off bus stop and tram station. Easy access to New Town and short walk to Waverly or on to Old Town. Staff is very friendly and helpful but the place seemed deserted and has an odd layout ( have to walk through a very empty bar area to get to our room…every time we passed the lonely bartender jumped to his feet in hopes of having a customer….but we were only going to our room). Mixed bag overall but plenty good if you end up there. Nearby Le Monde hotel was our favorite…book way ahead for best chance of affordable rates. Either way you are in the heart of a magical city and so you really can’t go wrong.

Posted by
175 posts

We just stayed at Market Street Hotel which is a block off the Royal Mile and across from the train station. Great location. Very new modern rooms.

Posted by
398 posts

I liked the Linton apartment. They were compatible to other less expensive hotels- probably for the construction on North Bridge- but the laundry and kitchen were nice to have. Well located too.

Posted by
2378 posts

We enjoyed the Motel One Princes (actually a hotel and not a motel) which is across the street from the Balmoral Hotel and the Waverley train station. The sister hotel Motel One Royal is at the foot of Cockburn Street and again close to Waverley station and the royal mile. Ask for a room with a view. Our room had a view of Edinburgh Castle.

Posted by
3217 posts

Thank you all for these suggestions. I like the research and planning part of a trip almost as much as the actual trip.

I just booked our return flight today. If you want to use AA miles to fly business class a/ka Club World on British Airways, you need to pounce on those flights as soon as they open up.

Posted by
1 posts

We stayed at the Bonham Hotel when on tour. We plan on staying there when we go back to Edinburgh on our own. It is near Haymarket Station. Really nice for the price !

Posted by
106 posts

The RS Hotel on our tour was the Parliament House. Convenient location with a restaurant. The staff was generally very helpful. We would stay there again.