Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh hotel

Hi,

My husband and I will be in Edinburgh for 3 nights next year during the Fringe before our RS 13 day Scotland tour. We want to book our hotel now as we know how busy it will be and finding accommodations will be difficult. This is our second visit to Edinburgh. We stayed at a Dalkeith Road b&b last time but found it too far out from the city even with the bus. We want to stay closer to the Royal Mile this time. We looked at the Motel One (both Princes and Royal) as the price is right but there are some negative TA reviews - Royal is like a rabbit warren and the rooms at Princes are hot and stuffy even in the winter with the windows open. We have also looked at B+B where the tour ends but it is $600 more. Have any of you had experience with either Motel One? I don’t really trust the TA reviews. Other hotel suggestions? Thanks.

Posted by
14979 posts

I have not had experience with Motel One......but have you looked at Premiere Inns? I haven't stayed in any in Edinburgh but I've stayed in many around the UK and never had a bad experience. Always clean and quiet.

Others may chime in as well as it is a very popular chain on this board.

Posted by
3950 posts

We’ve stayed in several Motel Ones (although not in Edinburgh) and found them to be stylish with minimalist but comfortable rooms. If you look at another review source such as Booking.com they are rated highly, 9.1. I would book a centrally located Motel One with a good price based on my prior experience with the chain.

Posted by
545 posts

I haven't stayed at a Motel One in Edinburgh, but check out their reviews on Booking.com. Both locations are rated quite well. I stayed at The Place hotel during a RS Scotland tour a few years ago and thought it was nice. There's no AC, but the hotel gave me a floor fan to use. I stayed at the end of August/early September. I'd stay there again. Have fun!

Posted by
2427 posts

Thanks, Mona and Kathy. Yes, the hotel gets good reviews but from some of the ones I’ve read the guests’ experience is hit or miss. The room is either too hot or too cold regardless of the time of year. Or the stay was great. Perhaps it should be nicknamed the Goldilocks Hotel. LOL! I can deal with minimalist as long as the room is clean and quiet and the bed is comfy. Thanks for the link, Judy. I still hope to hear from someone who has stayed at this hotel. It seems like most of the reasonably priced hotels in Edinburgh are lacking in one way or another based on reviews.

Posted by
27097 posts

Check the reviews on booking.com. You can't leave a review there if you haven't stayed at the property, and I've found the reviews to be quite reliable in general.

Posted by
8367 posts

We stayed at Premier Inn city Centre York Street and were quite pleased. 5 minute walk to train or bus station and the tram for the airport literally starts at the front door of the hotel. We walked everywhere.

Posted by
5678 posts

I have stayed down the hill toward Leith and near the Royal Botanic Gardens. I know that they are not on the Royal Mile, but I found that the bus was VERY easy to take up to the sites and usually walked back down in the late afternoon or early evening. There were local places for dinner or again the bus or a taxi. And in fact viewed the Fringe fireworks from a distance. If you have not been to Edinburgh during the Festival be aware that it VERY crowded by the Royal Mile. It is exciting, but it was also really nice to be able to step back a bit in the evening.

The hotel was the Inverleith. The last time I stayed we were in one to their apartments which was literally next door and we still had breakfast at the Hotel. We liked it a lot. The breakfast is really cheery. They have a small bar for residents. Here' the link you can check it out.

BTW for any hotel in Edinburgh check the cancelation rules as they are usually different from normal times, although Covid may have even changed the non-normal to a new non-normal!

Have fun.

Pam