Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh airport

I am looking at spending 1 day in Edinburgh......I am dropping off my car at the airport and have looked at the Holiday Inn express and the Hilton.....I was just wondering if there were any options I have missed......thanks, JW

Posted by
824 posts

Jen,

You don't provide a whole lot of detail as to your stay so it's kind of hard to advise. Are you dropping your car off at the beginning of your one day stay or the end?

Edinburgh has excellent connections between the airport and downtown via the Tram and Airbus. Both are fast, reliable and inexpensive. I would suggest dropping the car off at the beginning of your visit so you don't have to worry about city traffic and parking. Edinburgh has the reputation for having the worst city congestion and fewest public parking spaces of any city in the UK. Why bother with a car..?

I would definitely stay in the city versus by the airport. And while I have used American corporate hotels in Europe on occasion, I would suggest a quaint boutique hotel of B&B. During a recent stay in Edinburgh, I was at the Kew House B&B and LOVED it. It's an easy walk from the Haymarket Train/Tram station, the Airbus runs past it, and it's on a major city bus line. Plus, their cooked to order breakfast can't be beat! If you want to keep you car, they even have a private car park around back.

Posted by
5678 posts

I would agree that you should stay in the city rather than at the airport. There are options to get you there in the AM. The last time, I scheduled a taxi, but there are other options--bus and tram.

Pam

Posted by
2639 posts

I too would advise staying in the city centre,it takes only 30 minutes by public transport to get from the centre to the airport and buses and trams run every 10 minutes.what time is your flight

Posted by
4517 posts

Best justification for staying at the airport is a very early flight out, or perhaps staying free on points. Then you could commute into the city for the day. Else consider staying more central.