Please sign in to post.

Does this sound lke a good plan? End of May 2018

My husband and I will visit Scotland end of May 2018. I have done a bus tour there with sis, so I know of some sites we want to visit. We want to do a road trip versus bus so that we can see more of Scotland and do day excursions. We are planning 9 nights in Scotland. Arrive in Edinburgh, stay 2 nights. Catch train to Pitlochery, rent a car there, stay one night. Stay near Ft. Augustus (Invegarry Hotel perhaps) for 3 nights. Head to Portree for 2 nights then back to Edinburgh to fly out next morning. We prefer to drop off car outside of Edinburgh (suggestions) and catch train into town because we have never driven in a large European city before. Does this itinerary sound good? Thanks! Gina

Posted by
2636 posts

I would hire your car at Edinburgh airport, you are on the right side of the city to get to Pitlochry quite easily and you have far better options for car hire at the airport, you can also return the car there easy enough. very easy to get to the Airport by bus ,tram or taxi from the city centre in about 30 minutes.

Posted by
5678 posts

I agree with Unclegus. Get the car at Edinburgh Airport. It will take you about two hours to get there. If you need a break, stop and Dunkeld and check out the Beatrix Potter exhibit and garden. :)

Posted by
3119 posts

Here's a third vote in favor of picking up & returning your car at Edinburgh airport. The roads and roundabouts are well signposted and the airport is outside the city so you won't be driving in the city itself.

Depending how many people are in your party and how much luggage you have, taking a taxi to your Edinburgh hotel might be worth it. I don't know if all taxi companies do this, but ours gave us a voucher for 5 pounds off our return trip to the airport, which we appreciated.

Posted by
24 posts

Add my vote to picking up and returning your car at the Edinburgh airport. Take a taxi or bus to and from your hotel. The airport is outside of town, west of the city, and perfectly situated to your route. We got a car there right after arriving, and even jet lagged had no troubles. Your itinerary sounds good, although I would stay three nights in Portree if I had the choice. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the advice! Having done a bus tour in Scotland before, the work was done for me. This is more intimidating! Sounds like we will be getting a car hire at the airport :)

Posted by
5678 posts

You'll be fine! The trick is to plan your route. Know which towns are ahead of you. Your navigator needs to take his/her job seriously so that the drive can concentrate on driving. The signs in the UK often list the towns that are ahead rather than saying north or south or east or west. So, heading north from the Airport you may seen Queensferry, the Forth Bridge, Dumfermline, Perth and so on. That's why I like a map as well as GPS.

Pam