Please sign in to post.

December Worth Visiting?

Is it worth it to visit Scotland in December? If it is, what major attractions would still be open or would be suited to winter travel? I am aware that the days are short and scenery will not look as nice as in the summer (But is does it still look good?). This is especially so because a trip to Scotland will definitely include the lochs. I'm afraid that in winter it will be too dreary and wet for that so any suggestions for a December trip to Scotland?

Posted by
5678 posts

I've seen some gorgeous pictures of Scotland in Winter. They can have snow. MC and Unclegus should post with specifics. A lot of the castles are managed by Historic Scotland. You can check on the website to see if the sites you are interested in are open. They often are, but with shorter hours. In the cities--Edinburgh and Glasgow a lot will be open. Some of the sites in the highlands may be closed if the weather is bad and the road closes. But places like Aviemore is also a ski resort so they will be open. You can probably go to Rothiemurchus for walks, but they all won't be accessible. You also could contact some of the visitor centers. You can look and see if they are open year round, which would be a good sign. For example, here's the one for Skye. Ask them what's on in December. They will know! Visit Scotland has a decent search for events. Here's a search I did on season events in all of Scotland in December. You can also search by region. And the cursory search showed not much happening in the Highlands in December.

And look what I found! A A to Z of Scotland in Winter by VisitScotland. :)

Now, if you can stay for New Year's celebration you will find quite a few parties. And if you want to delay it until that last two weeks in January, you'll find the Celtic Connection traditional music festival in Glasgow.

Posted by
2639 posts

if you want to base yourself in the central belt of Scotland then you have some great opportunities to have a great time. In Edinburgh we have a winter festival on from the end of November with lots of things based round that.
the main problem at that time of year is the amount of daylight maximum daylight hours in December will be less than 8.
All the major tourist sights will be open and we have numerous museums and indoor things to do if the weather gets really wet.
Can't guarantee snow unless you go into the highlands , ie north of Stirling but be aware travelling around in the highland can get a bit difficult if we get a fall of snow.

Posted by
1644 posts

As Unglegus says that time of the year you are probably best based in the central belt. If you go into the Highlands and Islands you need to be prepared for if the weather turns. Snow, wind and rain can make travel difficult.

That said there will be events as Pam has said in the main towns, and David Hasselhoff will be in panto in Glasgow this year.

Posted by
9570 posts

Not sure that David Hassellhoff being in Panto goes in the "plus" column. : 0

Posted by
32752 posts

Oh NO he doesn't!!

(He's Behind You)