Please sign in to post.

Day Trips from Edinburgh

My husband & I will be traveling to Edinburgh next May and have a day open to go into the countryside and see some sights. What I've seen so far is a day trip to the West Highland lochs, castles & a stop at a distillery. It looks pretty good but wondering if anyone has other suggestions. Thanks!

Posted by
853 posts

I did one that included Loch Lomond and Stirling Castle, and another that included Rosslyn Chapel and Hadrian's Wall. Enjoyed them both, but got very wet at the wall.

Posted by
5678 posts

If you want to do your own thing, the train to Stirling and easy to do. If you want more of the countryside, you could take the train to Perthshire to Dunkeld on the River Tay and go for some walks in the countryside. Perthshire is beautiful, Birnam is on the wet bank of the rive, so you can go for a walk in Birnam Wood! And you can take the train/bus (for the last few miles) to St. Andrews. I also did a very short day trip to Linlithgow--again by train.

I am sure that there are day tours to the Trossachs. The lochs and hills are beautiful. Another tour would be the Abbey's of the Borders. You should look at where the new borders railway goes. That would be a lovely trip as well.

Posted by
25 posts

Diana,
I really enjoyed the day tour from Edinburgh that I took in September: it went to Dunfermline Abbey, Bannockburn, Stirling Castle and Rosslyn Chapel. I know I could have done it on my own, but I would not have been able to see and do all that in one day. Plus, it was nice to leave the driving to someone else - and be kept on schedule since I tend to lolly-gag on my own! It was a small group (16 people) with a friendly and knowledgeable guide. I thought the price was very reasonable, even though the Stirling and Rosslyn entrance fees are NOT included in the tour price.. The link is below for the tour I took.

http://www.highlandexperience.com/tours/edinburgh/Rosslyn-Chapel-Tour-Scotland.htm