Please sign in to post.

Day trip from Edinburgh

My husband and I will be spending 4 days in Edinburgh and would like to take a day trip to see the countryside and highlands. What area would you recommend exploring? Is the area accessible by train or would it be best to explore by car?

Thanks!

I recommend a one day Rabbie's tour. You can just look Rabbie's up online. Check out Stirling Castle/ Loch Lommond. We did that one. Then, you can forget about transportation and just relax and have fun. There are multiple options.

Posted by
1883 posts

I second a Rabbies tour. It's the best way to get out into the country. no need to rent a car, figure out the bus... we took the tour to see Doune Castle which also included a stop at Kilchurn Castle, one of the lochs, and the view from Rest and Be Thankful road. We had lunch in a delightful little village, and enjoyed learning from the guides some of the history.

Full day tour was @$100 for myself and my daughter...

They offer many day tours out of Edinburgh...whisky tours as well...pick one, and relax, leave the driving and stress of getting around to the professionals

Posted by
8372 posts

Less expensive than the Rabbies tour and lots of fun. Take a regular bus to St.Andrews and explore the town. Don't miss the St. Andrews Ladies Putting Course. Tons of fun and just a pound or 2 in cost.

Posted by
3122 posts

If you go to St Andrews, be aware it's not the highlands but you will be by the sea. The British Golf Museum is fun & interesting even for those who don't play golf, and it has a nice cafe overlooking the 1st/18th hole of the Old Course.

To get a taste of the highlands instead, go north from Edinburgh in the direction of Pitlochry.

Posted by
631 posts

the real Highlands are bit far for a day trip but there is worthwhile scenery well within reach. My thought was the Trossachs area (think Highland Lite) so I googled for Trossachs tours from Edinburgh and this was the first company out. http://www.timberbush-tours.co.uk/our-tours/from-edinburgh/one-day/loch-lomond-the-trossachs-stirling-castle/ I've no experience of them but it seems a sensible and interesting itinery at a reasonable price. If you really want to go deep, above the big photo click 1 Day Tours and see Loch Ness and Glencoe. It's a good price but quite a long day.