Please sign in to post.

Cell service

Good morning from British Columbia! We are travelling soon to Scotland for 3 weeks. 8 days on our own, then a 10 day tour. We are Telus subscribers so wondering, do we go with an international plan or buy a SIM card at airport and put in my iPhone?
Many thanks in advance.😊

Posted by
1214 posts

Typically one month sims are £10 to £15.
Every shop has them.
As long as it's calls with the UK you will be fine ,about 15GB of data too at those prices
EE seems to have the widest coverage ,but Giffgaff which runs in O2s network is pretty decent too.

Posted by
3114 posts

I’ve used Giffgaff …you order a SIM card through their website and set it up before you leave home.
I’ve also bought a Vodafone card there in a cellphone shop….they are everywhere…also reliable.
We have Telus also……bandits!!
I wouldn’t get a plan through them…much cheaper to buy a sim card in Scotland

Posted by
199 posts

I second Vodafone. Last time they gave me 40 GB on top of what I bought for 15 GBP. Keep in mind, that if you want to call somebody in Canada or the UK, upon arrival, you can use WiFi calling, using your own Telus number, but it won't let you without turning off airplane mode. At least with my Quebec provider. I used to have Telus and I can't see it being much different.

Posted by
32212 posts

I'm also from B.C. and have just been using the international roaming plan with my home cell network (Rogers) for many years. It's a bit expensive but I've found it's the easiest and best solution for my situation.

I've tried the travel SIM's and other solutions, but found them to be a bit of a nuisance. I need to be available at my home number, so it's the best solution for me. One benefit of roaming with my home provider, is that I'm not limited to using just one foreign network. The phone seems to connect to different European networks as I travel around. I haven't figured out the exact system they use for determining which European network my phone connects to, but I learn a bit more with each trip.

Check with Telus on the costs and terms of their international roaming plans.