Please sign in to post.

Castle hotels?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a castle where you can stay? I did it in Ireland and it was a nice splurge from the usual B&Bs. We are planning a general route of Edinburgh--Inverness--Skye--Borders--Edinburgh.

Posted by
4 posts

We are planning to stay at Tulloch Castle in Dingwall just outside of Inverness. We have not stayed there before but it was recommended to us by a friend who frequently travels to Scotland.

Posted by
3122 posts

If your itinerary were including Argyll I would say check out Stonefield Castle hotel near Tarbert on Loch Fyne. We've booked 2 nights there in May and I'll try to remember to post a review afterwards.

BTW I learned the hard way that the entire Loch Fyne area is booked solid at the end of May because of the big yacht race.

Posted by
5678 posts

Wow, a fellow Stonefield fan! I enjoyed my stay. It was in September and combined with a music festival in Tarbert. You might want to explore this site. Here's another list from Rampant Scotland. There are other sites, but I think that these catch most of them. Visitscotland also has lists.

PAm

Posted by
3122 posts

Stonefield Castle Hotel has its charms, but it also left a little to be desired (see my review under Rick Steves hotel reviews). The plumbing had problems and the carpets, paint, draperies etc. had seen better days. However, given the choices of places to stay in Tarbert, I probably would return.

Loved Tarbert and the entire Kintyre Peninsula region. Having seen more of Scotland on this year's trip, I'm hard pressed to say which part of the country I like best!