I’m new to the travel forum, so hope I’m doing this right? Have been reading other posts and appreciate the sharing of helpful hints for those putting together their own itineraries! Thanks!
I was scheduled to visit Scotland & England later this month ( obviously had to cancel but now working on plans to reschedule for next April/May instead) and had a difficult time trying to figure out several aspects of renting a car there. Hoping some travelers are willing to share their experiences. Have not rented a car on previous trips to Europe & UK.
1) Which Car Rental service did you use? I have explored thru Costco, Expedia, airline mileage programs, credit cards, Arnold Clark (big car rental in Scotland) etc
2) Manual vs Automatic -The prices are quoted with manual transmission-hard to find automatic & it appears to be substantially higher price per day? My cousin (60 yrs) & I (75 yrs) women, are both decided we need the automatic.
3) Navigation - some charge per day/ some have max cost overall? Has anyone taken their own portable GPS instead & did that work ok?
4) Cost per day vs 2+ wk rental? We want to do some day trips from Edinburgh, but wondering if we should stay outside Edinburgh with car or only rent on days we will need it - due to scarcity/expense of parking?
5) What is an average cost per day for rental to accommodate 2 women travelers? Are there certain cars to avoid. It appeared that on some sites the cost was less for a little bigger car - perhaps larger inventory?
6) Insurance - Some credit cards say insurance IS included & rental companies vary on cost & if some included?