I am in the process of cobbling together a postponed trip to Scotland originally planned for May 2020. If Covid restrictions allow, the trip will now take place in late August/early September. The history is not especially important in my query. I am just mindful that some do not believe that planning at this time--as Covid and necessary Covid restrictions are sorted out—is prudent. I understand. I'm not insensitive to the toll that Covid has taken (and is taking) on our world.
However, I have quite a few vouchers as a result of Covid cancellations. I am eager to make this trip when it is possible. This will be my first trip to Scotland, and I’m resolved to be optimistic while it seems there is yet some reason to be.
On my revised itinerary, we would need a car for six days (ideally picking up at Kyle of Lochalsh train station and returning it to the ferry terminal at Armadale. In the interim, my husband and I would be making a trip down to Glencoe before arriving on Skye via Mallaig/Armadale and heading over to Portree where we will be based for three days. I hope/assume that car rental companies would allow this. ?
We were not originally going to make this dip down to Glencoe. (We will be coming to Kyle of Lochalsh via train from Inverness.) We originally would have gone on to Glencoe after leaving the Isle of Syke. However, in trying to reschedule, I am having to shift some things around based on when accommodations and a specific tour are available. (Rabbie’s North Coast 500, for instance, only occurs Thursday to Saturday each week.)
The Rick Steves guidebook for Scotland for 2020 seems to suggest that M-2 Motors might be the most amenable to the type of rental we are seeking. However, the business’s website has been down for, at least, a week. Maybe longer? Does anyone know if the company is still operating?
I sent a query to Morrison but have yet to get a response. (It’s only been a few days. Maybe I will soon.) As restrictions have only recently loosened perhaps businesses have not yet resumed or are just getting their staffs back to work. ?
I know I have quite a bit of time to work this out, but I do want to reserve an automatic, so securing this reservation is fairly high on my “to do” list.
I’d appreciate any information, advice, recommendations, etc.