Please sign in to post.

Brexit

Some friends and I are making a trip to Ireland and Scotland in April. We're scheduled to arrive in Scotland during the first week of May. Any thoughts or information about how Brexit may affect our travel plans, particularly when traveling between the Republic of Ireland and Scotland? Thank you!

Posted by
1943 posts

If anyone knew, I'm sure PM May would have hired them by now. If you're American, you probably won't see much difference is my guess. The biggest changes will probably be for UK passport holders.

Posted by
8293 posts

While it must be worrying for you and anyone else with UK plans, no one knows the answer to your heartfelt question. Even Theresa May.

Posted by
103 posts

I'm no fan of Brexit, but even I'd say that for US tourists it will most likely make pretty much no difference and as a such it's not something to overly worry about.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks so much for your responses. This will be our first trip to Ireland and the UK (can't wait!). I'm wondering if Brexit would require us to go through customs when traveling between the two countries- a hassle but not the end of the world. If Parliament moves as quickly as Congress then any changes will be made long after we've returned home. :P

Posted by
11294 posts

" I'm wondering if Brexit would require us to go through customs when traveling between the two countries-"

Again, so is everyone else. That's the million dollar/euro/pound question.

Posted by
5678 posts

I'm wondering what's going to happen to the Pound. It has been pretty steady at around 1.3. I just did a complete price analysis and it will all be for naught if this goes crazy. And also have a UK business trip planned for the first week of April. My work colleagues over in the UK go from planning for a hard Brexit to thinking that there will be a new referendum to wishing a plague on all their houses. What's that they say about living in interesting times? :)

Pam

Posted by
1639 posts

Basically we have a political nervous breakdown in the UK brought about through what appears to be Russian collusion.

Hopefully sane heads will prevail.

Posted by
1943 posts

Or more MP's defecting to third party that says ___ about Brexit. And we thought American politics was exciting!

Posted by
55 posts

If hard Brexit occurs April 12, 2019, flights to and from Britain will be cancelled, delayed etc. as new regulations, red tape, etc will need to go into effect, not to mention immigration lines 3 miles longer than already in London. This is my guess. I will wait until April 12, if hard Brexit occurs and no extension of Brexit by the EU forget Britain travel that week.. What do you say Rick?

Posted by
8367 posts

I just did what people had been fretting about, I flew into the U.K. on what was supposed to the start of Brexit. I had decided long ago not to worry about this issue. Turns out I had the right approach. Great flight and easy arrival at Heathrow.

A great trip plan always recognizes that unexpected events can, and probably will, happen. Flexibility makes for effective travel. However, worrying over unknowns that you have no control over and are unpredictable makes for a less satisfying travel experience.

Posted by
5257 posts

If hard Brexit occurs April 12, 2019, flights to and from Britain will be cancelled, delayed etc. as new regulations, red tape, etc will need to go into effect,

You have based this conclusion on what?

Flights from non EU countries to the UK will not be affected, they will continue to operate as they do currently. Flights to and from the EU will have had to have advance clearance agreed however both the UK and EU have accepted that a reciprocal agreement for flights between both areas is in the interests of both and it is envisaged that the agreement process will be smooth and without issue.

Posted by
32735 posts

What do you say Rick?

Ronnie, Rick doesn't participate on these Forums

Posted by
55 posts

I guess no one can be sure, arrangements have been made between airlines and EU, whether it will take time to run smoothly is anyone’s guess, best to google Brexit and look for respected news sites.
People like me are guessing here, wonder what Rick thinks.