Please sign in to post.

Booking Scottish Accommodation 2024

As a B&B owner in Scotland here are my tips for 2024

1. New legislation requires all short term lets to have a license, check your accommodation has a license or temporary license No# before booking.
  2. Book directly with the owners if possible. You'll not only potentially make a saving but communication won't be via a third party.
  3. Don't be tempted to travel around as much as possible, time and time again guests wish they had spent longer in one spot!.
  4. The roads are sometimes slow/narrow, don't hold up traffic because of the fantastic views. Pull over occasionally in a parking bay to let the locals past.
  5. Respect the house you're staying in. Of all the visitors from around the world we need to paint the walls of our US visitors the most...strange but true.
  6. Bookings/travelling using a credit card. Explore setting up an account with alternative such as Revolut or a bank that has better rates. You'll potentially save a fortune in fees and here we have to pay a huge commission on payments made via the likes of American Express.
  7. Try Google maps to locate accommodation. A Google search usually throws up a whole page of paid (sponsered) advertisements from the likes of Booking.vom/Expedia etc, whereas we try and make a presence on Google maps and utilise Google Zero to advertise rates.
  8. Book early. The short term let license has had a huge impact in Scotland and lot of small places may no longer exist!
  9. Don't think you need to do the usual 'rounds'...Ben Nevis, Isle of Skye, Fairy pools etc. The locals or accommodation can tell you of quiet trails that are far superior! We look forward to seeing you.
Posted by
1117 posts

Very good advice from LC.

I know that some operators (myself included) are preferring to wait for a confirmed licence number before opening their diaries for bookings for the coming year. There are big delays with the Local Authorities issuing licences and while we are permitted to operate with a temporary licence number we would have to cancel bookings in the unlikely event of our licence eventually being refused. So I for one am not opening my diary until I have the confirmed licence in my hands! I have no idea when this is likely to be, but am hopeful that it might before in the early part of 2024.

With regard to LC's point 5, please ask your host for help with your bags if you need it. We are always happy to carry bags and it certainly avoids the walls/decor getting dinged!

We really enjoy chatting to guests and helping with dinner recommendations and ideas for less busy areas to explore. In many places you will want to connect with your host in advance as dinner recommendations are getting more and more essential and they can give you great advice ahead of your trip.

Best wishes
Skyegirl (Jacqui)

Posted by
5 posts

How early are calendars opening up? Usually we see the majority of requests and bookings coming in after Christmas, however this year has seen a huge number of those come in a couple of months ago! We had to open our calendar unusually very early and May 2024 is already nearly full. This may just be an anomoly, however I would start to get your holiday plans firmed up now if possible.
The accomodation may not open their calendar until January but they potentially might take requests for dates until they do. Another great reason to do this directly instead of booking via an online travel agent!

Posted by
1367 posts

I particularly like #9's advice to ask locals for ideas. We found that to be particularly true on Arran where our innkeeper was a volunteer with the local search and rescue team (his go-bag was kept at the front door). He had great hiking/trail advice. We met another volunteer search and rescue member from Fort William on Barra. Unfortunately we had just come from Ballachulish so couldn't take advantage of her advice.

Posted by
4080 posts

Ah, yes, Skyegirl, the new regulations would put a damper on things this year. Again, really great tips and much appreciated!

Posted by
6318 posts

Great tips, LC - thank you! I think here on the forum we are so lucky to have so many locals give advice and helpful information; especially ones like LC and Skyegirl, who actually rent out rooms and deal with travelers on a daily basis.

Posted by
1644 posts

@skyegirl very good advice. When I have stayed at B&Bs or small hotels, both as a private individual or with work I have found it made it a better experience to chat with the host or staff, you get the advice and service with a smile.

Well, except the time in York with work where all you could think of was 'when can I check out tomorrow, and why did our org think this place was suitable... oh it was cheap.'

Even did this in Italy in a small hotel where I spoke with the owner in Italian. I cannot speak Italian, I can speak French and I think my Italian was 'entertaining'!