Please sign in to post.

Boat Tours from Oban - 13 Day Best of Scotland starting Sept 5, 2023

Greetings,

We are looking for recommendations for a day boat tour leaving from Oban. It'll be on a Saturday. Would like to see a variety of wildlife. Puffins would be great, but probably out of season. We are open to staying on the boat the whole time, or getting off and walking. We will have already visited Iona and Mull (on Rick's tour the day before).

Any suggestions?

Posted by
5751 posts

Yes, Puffins will probably be gone. I know you've been to Iona but all the wildlife tours you can do will mean you have to go back to Craignure on Mull, then either down to Iona or across to Tobermory.
I don't know if Rick's tour just does the road down to Iona from Craignure or the whole island, but something like this sounds right where you get off the boat and travel across Mull to Tobermory for your boat-

EDITED FROM PAM'S COMMENT- So this trip perfectly compliments the one on the tour in allowing you to see the other end of the Island and the colourful (literally) village of Tobermory.

https://westcoasttours.co.uk/book-tour/tobermory-treshnish-staffa-tour/

Other companies do broadly similar trips.

Due to ongoing construction work you won't be able to land on Staffa. I don't know how West Coast Tours or the other boat companies are handling that- best to ask them before booking.

If you would like a walk, why not take the 0700 CalMac service ferry to the Isle of Coll, with almost 3 hours ashore (while the ferry goes to Tiree and back), arriving back at 1510;
or CalMac to the island of Lismore at 0800 or 1100- both options give you 3 hours on the island, 55 minute ferry ride each way.

Posted by
606 posts

We did the "Three Island Wildlife Tour" from Oban. West Coast Tours handles the whole package, including bus rides from Craignure to Fionnphort, a medium sized boat that lands on Lunga, Staffa(closed for now), and Iona. We took the Calmac ferry back to Fionnphort from Iona as the small boat had another group to deal with. I asked the boat skipper what their plan for Staffa was, and he said he thought they would poke the boat into Fingal's Cave and cruise around a bit, but the final reality of the upcoming closure hadn't sunk in yet. I'm sure WCT would explain it via email or phone and I'm a little surprised it's not on the website.

Posted by
13943 posts

"I don't know if Rick's tour just does the road down to Iona from Craignure"

Yes, the day the tour does Iona, it's is basically off the ferry in Craignure, board the bus and down to the Fionnphort ferry. No time to sightsee on Mull.

Posted by
5751 posts

While I don't know anything about this company, a bit of googling brings up this tour to the Isle of Ulva, just off Mull (they also do an Otter finding tour amongst others)-
that might be a really good way to have a walk, learn some history, see wildlife and visit somewhere a little off the beaten path.

Posted by
7 posts

We are on same 13 Day Best of Scotland tour starting on Sept 5. Will see you soon.

Nan & Bill Bond

Posted by
14 posts

"I'm sure WCT would explain it via email or phone and I'm a little surprised it's not on the website."

I too am surprised that there is nothing about it on their website. I had booked the Three Isles Tour for Sept. 22, and am wondering what the ramifications of the closing of Staffa are for that tour. I have emailed them 4 times since July 8 and have yet to receive a response, so I guess a phone call is in order.

Posted by
5751 posts

As West Coast Tours are essentially agents for Staffa Tours (and just run the connecting bus element, and do the through ferry ticketing) I wonder if it is worth contacting Staffa Tours direct on info@staffatours.com and 07732 912370 or 07831885985

Posted by
14 posts

isn31c,

I'll try that...thank you for the suggestion! I didn't realize the connection between West Coast Tours and Staffa Tours.

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you for all of the ideas and suggestions.

We've decided to play it by ear. If we feel up to a boat ride, then we'll see what is around. We might just choose to do a bike ride around the area, instead. Or just hang out. Disappointed we probably will not see Puffins (poor planning on our part).

Thanks again for all the ideas and suggestions.

Happy Travels.