Please sign in to post.

Best Route

We are traveling by car and leaving Isle of Skye and headed up to Ullapool. Thinking about spending one or two nights there and driving to Inverness. We have 5 days left at this point. My question is should we find a place for a night or two and take day trips to a distillery and other sights and then head across to Aberdeen and then down around the coast to Saint Andrews and back to Edinburgh or cut across at Inverness and head down to Pitlochty and Perth and then to Edinburgh? Which route offers more sights and hiking and tours.
Kathy

Posted by
52 posts

My husband and I loved exploring a few places close to Inverness and then heading down A9, which was a much more pleasant drive than I'd expected! Lots of places to stop off and explore/hike: Clava Cairns, Carrbridge (the Old Packhorse Bridge), Blair Castle, Dunkeld... We ended our day on the coast in Crail and stayed there before heading back to Edinburgh. We loved it! You can hike along the Coastal Trail and have a great time taking in many of the fantastic coastal towns of Fife: Anstruther, Pittenweem...

On our way back to Edinburgh from Crail, we enjoyed a stop in Dunfermline to see the Abbey and Andrew Carnegie House/Museum
and even had time to enjoy a lovely stroll through Culross.

After spending over 10 days hiking in the Highlands, hiking and exploring Skye, visiting Plockton (which you should do on your way to Ullapool!) as well as a few other places around Inverness, enjoying a bit of the Coastal Towns of Fife felt like a wonderful way to experience a range of Scotland.

I do think that driving to Aberdeen and then South, adds a considerable amount of time driving vs time to be out exploring. But whatever you decide to do, you'll have a great time! Hope this helps.
Rebecca