Please sign in to post.

ATM Withdrawal Limits

I’ll be heading to Scotland (first to Glasgow) on Sunday. What are the best banks for ATM withdrawals? And what are the withdrawal limits for these banks.

Thank you

Posted by
6318 posts

Withdrawal limits are based on the restrictions imposed by your own bank, not the bank where the ATM is. If you're unsure, I would call your bank before you leave to find out what limits there are and increase those limits if necessary.

Posted by
2740 posts

Sorry, that is not quite correct.
Your own bank sets a limit as to how much you may withdraw from your account daily (and in the case of a joint account where there are two differently numbered cards that limit daily limit applies to each card separately). Your bank can tell you their daily limit.

The ATM operator can set his own limit as to how much may be taken out per transaction. This does not prevent one from ending their transaction after the withdrawal, and starting new transactions. For example, I was recently in London and needed 910 GBP to pay for our apartment. The nearest ATM had a 200GBP limit, so I simply did 5 transactions. My bank's limit for the day was $2,000, so no issue.

The best ATM? Likely a bank owned ATM as they have no fees, though I have also found fair ATMs elsewhere, for example at Sainsbury's for the above withdrawals. Just watch for the offer to do your transactions in your own currency for your convenience. This is generally 5% waste to then ATM operator as they are imposing their own exchange rate, rather than the network doing so at the prevailing rate as the transaction passes to your bank.

Posted by
8445 posts

just like ATMs here, cashpoints and bankomats dont have unlimited amounts of cash in them, so sometimes they limit what you can get out regardless of the theoretical limit. If a transaction fails, try again with a lower amount and see if it works. Repeat as necessary.

Posted by
1644 posts

Sometimes the ATM will display a message to the equivalent of 'you may withdraw up to £250 in this transaction'
In others there is a bit of a clue in the amounts that it offers. Also a clue in the units of notes that can be withdrawn. Mostly it is £10 and £20 only to a max of £250 at least in the ones I use.

Posted by
6543 posts

Check to see if your local bank has an international partner in the UK. For Bank of America for example, its partner bank is Barclays. There are no fees associated with using it, other than a foreign transaction fee.

I set my daily withdrawal limit online. In today’s world of contactless payment you should find you don’t need much cash; at least not enough to exceed any daily limit.

Posted by
6318 posts

Larry, you are right - I should have clarified my response. Thanks!

Posted by
1644 posts

Check to see if your local bank has an international partner in the UK. For Bank of America for example, its partner bank is Barclays. There are no fees associated with using it, other than a foreign transaction fee.

This is very good advice, perfect for England and Wales. So here comes the 'but'. If coming to Scotland, check the Scottish relative.

Royal Bank of Scotland is part of NatWest group so the deals with NatWest is likely to apply
Bank of Scotland is part of Lloyds Banking Group so the deal with Lloyds.
Virgin Money.... no idea.