Please sign in to post.

Airline tickets

Hi heading to Scotland end of Aug. When is best time to book? What estimate of cost?
We saw as much as 3200 and as low as 1067 per ticket.
Any insight appreciated- Lisa

Lvg out of Pittsburgh,PA

Posted by
11154 posts

We saw as much as 3200 and as low as 1067 per ticket

What fare class are you looking at?

Unlikely airfare will go down much, if at all, between now and Aug.
Between traveler demand and oil prices, 'up' is the most likely direction for prices.

Posted by
2329 posts

Use Google Flights to check multiple routes and airlines for your dates (but book direct with airline).

Posted by
930 posts

I would have already booked for August. We booked for our Sept and Dec trips as soon as we could. You can book as early as 330 days from your return trip back home and that's when we find the best fares. We even got Business Class for $1080-$1200 on each trip and that's booking MultiCity flights in and out of different countries. We love to get Business Class or Delta Premium Select seats and those are always cheapest at 330 days out (at least for when we travel). They really aren't that much more than Coach seats when booked early like that.

Posted by
4824 posts

Three months ago?

We usually start monitoring flight prices 6-8 months in advance to get a feel for prices, then buy as soon as we see a price we like.

Between covid, crew shortages, and fuel costs, I doubt prices will fall during the height of the tourist season.

Posted by
6113 posts

Is that August 2022 or 2023? Do you have accommodation booked? That’s still peak season plus the Edinburgh Festival, so places are going to be booked up.

Posted by
4048 posts

I have watched prices for months and they have only gone up. I finally booked with miles because the best price coming my way from DFW was $1500 (in July). The $1067 range from the east coast sounds like the cheapest I was seeing. But that was for no change, no checked bag, no seat choice basic economy.

Posted by
597 posts

I think the days of prices falling two weeks before a trip (as the airline tries to fill the plane) are long gone. Most flights are packed to the gills, and the earlier you can book, the better. I'm already watching the fares for a Spring '23 trip, and I will book as soon as the airline allows, which appears to be about 330 days ahead, although there are some that allow even earlier. I watched LoganAir prices pretty closely, and although they had occasional 15% off "sales" the price leapt after the sale back to the price curve that doubled the price in six months.

Posted by
2 posts

In March with United, we booked Pitt-IAD-EDI for end of June Friday return on July 4th Monday paid $3,780 for 2 tickets.
Just a point of reference for you.