Please sign in to post.

Advice on Itinerary: What, if anything to cut

We are planning a trip to Scotland and Ireland Fall of 2019. Travelers include 2 couples ages 56-68, all very active. We will rent a car. Our preliminary itinerary is 25 days. We would like to cut that down by 2-3 days, if possible. Any advice is appreciated. Thank You!
Day 1 Edinburg-arrive, recover from jet lag, site see
Day 2 Edinburg
Day 3 return to airport, rent car (25 % more for automatic but will be shifting and driving on the left) drive to Inverness
Day 4 Inverness
Day 5 drive to Portree on Isle of Skye
Day 6 Isle of Skye
Day 7 Isle of Skye
Day 8 Drive to Glencoe then on to Oban
Day 9 Oban
Day 10 Drive to town with cheapest flights to Ireland, either Glasgow or Edinburg .
Day 11 Fly to Dublin
Day 12 Dublin
Day 13 Go back to airport, rent car, drive to Kilkinney
Day 14 Kilkinney
Day 15 Drive to Kinsale (walking tour, good food, fort,
Day 16Kinsale
Day 17 Drive along coast seeing Mizen Head, Dromberg Stone Circle and take boat to Whiddy Island to Kenmare
Day 18 Ring of Kerry the drive 1 1/2 hours to Dingle (Try to be in Dingle on a Friday or Saturday night for the lively pub life)
Day 19 Drive Slea Head Loop (Dingle Peninsula) or consider Sciuird Achaeology Tour of the loop--book far in advance. (Loop is more scenic than Kerry but shorter. See Blasket Centre--do this before going to islands
Day 20 Stroll town and/or boat to Blasket Island
Day 21 Drive to Cliffs of Maher and The Burren on way to Galway
Day 22 Galway-fly to Aran Islands (Inishmann Island)Boats can only come and go on high tide. Flying is more dependable and will allow more time on island. Pat said we do not need time to explore Galway (not charming, etc)
Day 23 Drive to Connemara National Park and sleep in Westport. While in Westport can go to Croagh Patrick where St Patrick fasted and drove the snakes out of Ireland.
Day 24 Drive 3 hours to Trim. Go through Strokestown and visit the Famine Museum, located at a Manor house (stop for coffee just to see it) and arrive in Trim by 3 pm to see the castle (largest in Ireland and site of filming of Bravehart).
Day 25 Return car and fly home.

Posted by
3119 posts

See my comment on your parallel post under Ireland. In my opinion you're trying to do way, way too much. Only you can decide what to cut, based on what your top priorities are.

Posted by
70 posts

Suggestions:
The itinerary looks doable. I’m no expert but we have been to Ireland 3 x for 2 weeks each trip and one to Scotland for 22 day plus 4 back in London. You might save a day in Skye but it depends on what you want to see. If you come across a little crossroads post office in a trailer that has a small “restaurant" across the road from it stop for dessert. It was a six foot table full of pies and pastries. That was our lunch!

*On drive from Inverness to Skye, stop at the Loch Ness Exhibit. It’s good for grins & our 9 year old son liked it.
*On Skye go out to the Lighthouse for sure for great pictures and Dunvegan Castle if it’s still there & climb up for a better view of The Old Man of Storr.
*Drive out to the Old Head of Kinsale Golf Course for some beautiful views. You can get a pint at the bar.
*If you have time, turn off N59, on your way to Connemara National Park, on to R341 & visit the Ballynahinch Castle Hotel. You can check out the VERY Interesting history at: www,ballynahinch-castle.com (the hotel site & then add: /en/about-us/history and hit return for the history. You can go inside the Hotel, turn right and head to the Fisherman’s Pub. We stayed in the Hotel in 1996 before it was redone and came back in 2011 for lunch. The grounds are beautiful and there are always fishermen in the river. It’s a hour from Galway on your way to Connemara N.P.
*The Rock of Cashel is worth it, but out of your way on this itinerary.
*Finally, if you have never been to an Irish horse racing course, you might check into it. They have courses and short 3 day meets all over Ireland at different times. You have plenty of time to see if any will be in an area near you. We just happened to stop in Tipperary for the races. It was hat day sponsored by the businesses of Limerick. Great fun.

Happy Travels

Posted by
172 posts

We are also active travelers in your age bracket. I’m writing from Glencoe in the middle of our 3 1/2 week trip in Scotland. I think you will spend most of your traveling days sitting in your car. Driving is beautiful but slow in Ireland and Scotland. My advice is to pick either Ireland OR Scotland for your three weeks. Stay at least two nights in each place. It will be much less stressful and more fun.