Please sign in to post.

Accommodation Suggestions

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some assistance with accommodations for part of my trip. Particularly Skye and Lewis/Harris. I want to start booking my accommodation as I hear things book up quickly. I'm open to anything except self-catering.

Here is what we need:

September 8,9,10 - 3 nights Isle of Skye

September 11,12,13 - 3 nights Lewis/Harris (It was suggested that we spend 2 nights in Harris and 1 night in Lewis - I'm open to ideas)

There are so many B&B's that it's overwhelming. I want to ensure that I pick the right one given that we will be there for 3 nights. Clean, comfortable bed and friendly hosts are preferred. Within walking distance to some sort of restaurant would be nice.
Thank you all for your help.

Posted by
3551 posts

Check Ricks guidebook for suggestions. That is what we did and it was very good.

Posted by
99 posts

We'll be on Skye the week after you! We've booked Tors place rm 1, as it was 1) available and 2) had great reviews. The price was very reasonable as well. I'm curious if any other posters have stayed there and, if so, what they thought of it.

Posted by
1117 posts

If you want to be in walking distance of a choice of restaurants on Skye then you will want to be in either Portree or Broadford. Or you could choose Dunvegan, Edinbane or Lochbay which each have a pub and a restaurant.

On Harris you will want to be in Tarbert , but you won't have masses of choice. If you have a car then you might do better to base yourself in Stornaway on Lewis and drive to the sites you want to see. That is if walking distance to restaurants is your main criteria.

There should be plenty of options on airbnb or booking.com. If using booking.com then personally I won't stay in anything that gets less than 9/10.

If booking in Portree ask for a precise location and walking distance to the village centre, as some B&Bs are as much as 30 minutes walk from the village centre.

Hope this helps.
Jacqui (Skyegirl)

Posted by
3122 posts

For Isle of Skye, in case you get shut out on the isle itself, the Dornie Hotel is a stone's throw from Eilean Donan Castle and about 5 min drive from the Kyle bridge (also not too far from the Glenelg ferry, should you want to experience that ride). It's very affordable, nothing fancy but clean and comfortable, with its own restaurant & pub which is popular with locals. The staff are very helpful.