Please sign in to post.

A830 and A87 toilets/rest stops/washrooms/restrooms?

In a few weeks, I am taking a road trip along the A830 from Fort William to Mallaig (pre-booked the ferry to Armadale), and then onward to Portree.

After a few days on Skye, I am taking the non-ferry route (A87) back to Fort William to return the car.

My question is (because I've tried to research on TripAdvisor and Google Maps and coming up short) what are some reliable rest stops/restrooms/washrooms along the routes?

I have a family member travelling with me who has incontinence. We're exhausting all options on our side to prevent accidents with medication, incontinence wear, etc. and we would just like a normal alternative if we absolutely need. Some of us have sensitive stomaches and may need a stop in case of eating something that does not agree with our systems.

I found an article published in 2020 and not sure how up to date it is. It refers to "rest" as in, rest from driving, but no indication of restroom/washroom facilities. https://monkeyandmouse.co.uk/best-family-stop-offs-for-road-trips-in-scotland

And then there's this one from TripAdvisor from 8 years ago (!!) https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186543-i626-k8378153-Rest_Stops_Drive_from_Inverness_to_Portree_Isle_of_Skye-Inverness_Scottish_Highlands_Scotlan.html

If anyone has some recent memory who can help, it would be greatly appreciated and put our minds at ease.

Ruby

Posted by
1376 posts

Hi, Ruby,

I can certainly empathize with your situation. Although Mrs. A and I don't suffer from incontinence, we do need frequent toilet breaks. We are always on the lookout for toilet facilities, which has serendipitously led us to some places that we never otherwise would have found.

You will find more toilet facilities along the A830 than the A87. Between Fort William and Mallaig there are toilet facilities in Glenfinnan at the Visitor Center/Cafe, and in Arisaig, at the western end of the village. To get to Arisaig, you need to leave the A830 and take the B8008 through the village. You'll be thankful, though, it's a very scenic side trip. Once you leave the village, continue on the B8008 until you get back to the A830.

There is a toilet block at the beach at Morar, but it is not well maintained. Your best bet would be the Morar Hotel, which is just past the railway station.

Once you get in to Mallaig, there is a toilet block on the left in the big car park. There is a charge for this toilet. It's 30 pence - credit card only! If you go a couple of hundred yards farther, there is a toilet at the CalMac waiting room down by the ferry terminal. It's free. If memory serves me correctly, there is also a free toilet in the library/community centre, which is in between the car park and the ferry terminal. Most of the restaurants in Malllaig reserve their toilets for customer use; however, the West Highland hotel would be the exception to the rule.

The A87 between Kyle of Lochalsh and Invergarry is a colour of a different horse. Once you leave the Dornie/Shiel Bridge area, your only toilet stop for the next 46 miles is the Cluanie Inn, which is just about at the midpoint. I can't remember if there is a port-a-loo at the Glen Garry viewpoint. Perhaps someone who has made the trip recently could let us know.

I hope that helps. Best of luck to you and your family member!

Mike (Auchterless)

Posted by
1376 posts

Hi again, Ruby,

I should add that all pubs/bars have toilet facilities, which is a requirement if they serve alcohol. They may not be the cleanest of facilities, but sometimes it's the only option. You'll find that most of the supermarkets have public toilet facilities (Co-op, Morrison's, Tesco, etc.). Mrs. A and I are frequent and appreciative users of said facilities.

Thank you for not letting this get in your way of having a wonderful visit to Scotland!

Bet wishes once again,

Mike (Auchterless)

Posted by
1110 posts

Hello
Mike has given you the low down on the road to the Isles (Fort William - Mallaig). I can offer some information about the A87.

There are toilets at Highland Soap Company - just north of Fort William. This is a really nice place to stop as they have a lovely cafe, but you can use the toilets without buying anything - just have a quick browse in their excellent shop!

The next ones are at Invergarry. Just beyond the village centre on the left hand side going towards Skye is the village hall. The toilets are open dawn to dusk during the summer months.

Then at Cluanie - there are toilets at the bakehouse. This is on the right heading towards Skye opposite the Cluanie Inn.

Dornie is your next stop. Just after Eilean Donan castle, across the bridge and on the left hand side is the village hall. Again the toilets are open dawn to dusk in summer.

Kyle of Lochalsh has public toilets in the main village car park, but you need to pay for these.

Broadford. There are public toilets on the left just past the COOP supermarket. A new toilet block is under construction right next to the COOP petrol station but these are not ready yet.

Sconser. Toilets at the ferry terminal for the Raasay ferry.

Portree. Free toilets in the village centre. Also just before the village you could pop into Skye Candles (formerly the Aros centre) and use their facilities.

Hope this helps.
Jacqui (Skyegirl)

Posted by
1110 posts

.....and while you are travelling around Skye.....

Glendale - village hall - open until 8pm

Carbost - in the village centre

Dunevgan - in the village centre car park

Uig - use the ones at the Calmac ferry terminal

Old Man of Storr - fairly new toilet block

Island Life Museum - toilets at turn off the main road to the museum

Armadale - toilets at the Calmac terminal.

An Crubh - community shop on the Sleat peninsula has toilets.

Staffin - toilets at the community centre.

Posted by
27 posts

My heart is bursting with happy tears! Thank you all so so so much. You will not believe the episodes we've had where we almost didn't make it and drastic times almost took drastic measure :grimacing-face: I am tattooing all of this info on my arm before I go!

Posted by
1376 posts

Hi once again, Ruby,

Just to add on to Jacqui's wonderful information, if you don't want to pay 50 pence to use the public toilet in Kyle of Lochalsh, the Co-op supermarket on the hill has a toilet in the back of the shop. It's all the way in the back. It was hard to find, but Mrs. A and I found it. As they say, "When you gotta go, you gotta go!"

Best wishes once again.

Mike (Auchterless)

p.s.: If the toilet block in Broadford isn't open (it was closed last summer when we were there), there is a very nice toilet in the Co-op, and also you can use the toilets in the Dunollie Hotel.

p.p.s.: If I remember correctly, the folks at the Bakehouse (across from the Cluanie Inn) ask for a small donation (about 50 pence) for the use of their toilet. As it's the only stop for miles, and I'm sure that their water rates are high, we didn't mind paying. Got some yummy pastries, too!

Posted by
1110 posts

Mike
The toilets in the COOPs in Kyle and Broadford have been out of action for ages. But there is one in the coop in Portree.

Jacqui

Posted by
1376 posts

Hi, Jacqui,

Thank you very much for that update. I hope that they are back in operation by our next holiday! I'm assuming that the shop employees have their own facilities somewhere in the back. At least I would hope so! :)

Mike (Auchterless)

p.s.: Just out of curiousity, were you referring to the Co-op on Bank Street in town, or the big one out on the A87? Or both?

Posted by
1110 posts

Mike,
I hope so too.

I was referring to the big COOP. I must admit the small COOP in Portree is somewhere I don't frequent very often. The lack of parking and narrow aisles tend to put me off.

Jacqui

Posted by
32 posts

Thanks for the information on toilets. We are traveling that route and it’s relevant to our trio.
Also thank you to rubychai for asking.

Posted by
2942 posts

You have to watch your fluid intake. I set a personal record of about 7+ hours of not using the bathroom during a long day in Paris. The parks had no restrooms and you had to buy something to use one in a restaurant. I'd already eaten and wanted to explore, not sit around. Granted I was smart enough to just sip a little bit from my water bottle and that saved the day. Of course if it was an emergency I would've gone into a cafe.

Posted by
5684 posts

The danger there is that you get dehydrated.

Posted by
2942 posts

True enough, so I sipped on enough water to get by. I mean, if push came to shove I would've bought a water or something in a cafe so I could use their toilet. As I understand it pubs and so forth in London are required to let people use their facilities? Some sort of tax break if they allow it?

Funny, but I even asked a colleague in Paris about the lack of bathrooms and he grudgingly agreed with me. There were some of those modern sidewalk toilets with long lines. Rather comical to see that. If you really had to go you were screwed. Not really a big deal for men as they piss anywhere and in the Summer the stench can be... something.

Posted by
32701 posts

Some sort of tax break if they allow it?

a law

Posted by
5684 posts

There was another thread on here a few weeks back which found a map of almost 400 public bathrooms in Paris, most of which are free. I'm not sure how to find that thread now- it was about a historic (art deco) bathroom which had re-opened (and was charging, as it as much an experience as a functional place).
A bit like Rothesay on the Isle of Bute, Scotland- you can either go to a free facility, or pay to go at a beautiful restored Victorian bathroom.

Posted by
6274 posts

Oh, that’s awesome! I’ve bookmarked this thread and all of this information is so great to have! Thanks to everything (and thanks, Ruby, for starting this!).

Posted by
1376 posts

Hi, Stuart,

I didn't realise that there was a charge for the Victorian loo in Rothesay! When Mrs A and I were there last July, there was no attendant, so we just wandered in. There was no one in the Gents, so I brought Mrs A in to have a look around. We were both quite impressed. Mount Stuart was impressive as well. We're going to make it a point to get back to Bute on our next visit.

Hope the storms aren't affecting you up there.

Mike (Auchterless)

Posted by
5684 posts

There certainly was a charge at Rothesay before Covid, Whether that has been lifted now would be interesting to know.

We have had a very stormy week this week, hopefully the last transition to Spring. Trees down, and roofs off, and huge hailstorms yesterday.
I wish the Highland Council toilet map told you which were chargeable. At Ullapool I used the ferry terminal ones last time I was there to see the Christmas tree made of fishing creels, because of the charge at the ones in the village centre.
It would be interesting to put together a list of toilets across Scotland as each council area publishes a list.
I was updating my old paper lists for Dumfries and Galloway last night, from the D and G website.

Posted by
1376 posts

Hi again, Stuart,

Years ago, Mrs A and I had considered compiling a "Good Loo" guide to Scotland. However, we realised that it would be impractical, as many public loos close or become repurposed, and by the time the guide came out, it would have already been out of date.

And speaking of repurposing, here's a juicy tidbit (pun intended) from the East Lothian Courier:

www.eastlothiancourier.com/news/23324417.public-toilets-become-home-ice-cream-parlours-cafes/

I can't imagine having a 99 from an ice cream shop which I knew had previously been a public loo! Just the presence of the Flake would be giving me second thoughts! :)

Mike (Auchterless)

Posted by
1110 posts

Mike, that made me laugh so much that a mouthful of porridge ended up in the middle of the table! Are 99s a thing in America or are they a purely British invention? I don't think I will ever be able to have another 99 without thinking of you.
Jacqui

Posted by
1376 posts

Hi, Jacqui,

I hope that your tablecloth was not ruined! The 99 is pretty much exclusive to Britain, although there was a newspaper article a few years ago about an Irish restaurant in Astoria, New York, which was serving 99s. They must have imported the Flakes, as they are definitely not normally available this side of the pond.

Supposedly the term "99" was coined by Italian ex-pats, who had cornered the ice cream market in Britain in the 1950s. It had something to do with the King of Italy having an elite guard of 99 men, so the ice cream "99" was considered something elite. I'll have to try to remember that next time I have a 99 in a repurposed loo!

Best wishes,

Mike (Auchterless)

Posted by
1110 posts

Mike
No damage done to the tablecloth! Interesting story about the 99. You're a mine of interesting information.
Jacqui

Posted by
27 posts

Drove through the A87 today from Skye to Fort William in the morning. The best toilet was at the Glengarry Community Hall. Clean and free, but a donation is appreciated. Small café with simple beverages and pastries available to purchase. Very happy with this one!

Posted by
1110 posts

rubychai,
Yes the Invergarry toilets are fab! You were very lucky to find the cafe open.
Jacqui

Posted by
6274 posts

I’ve printed all this out for my trip! Thanks for all the info! Almost at the airport - I’ll be in Glasgow tomorrow. Can’t wait!