Hello, and thank you in advance for helping me (or contributing) the internal turmoils of my mind while I try to determine what to do with the nine days my wife and I will have in Scotland. This is going to be our first trip to Scotland, and we will be renting a car. Although we love seeing cities, our lives have been far too chaotic lately and we have decided this trip will be primarily to escape the city, and to explore at slower pace than we are used to (We will be coming back the following summer and will see Edinburgh and more of Glasgow then). As of now, this is the itinerary I have haphazardly put together. Thoughts as a whole welcome, but I have a few specific questions as well.
We will be in Scotland from May 23 - June 1, and we leave super early that morning.
1 Night (May 23) - Glasgow
2 Nights (May 24-25) - Lockerbie
4 Nights (May 26-29) - Skye
2 Nights (May 30-June 1) - Inverness/Loch Ness
The first three nights are kind of a lock, day one we will be getting over jet lag and from what I have heard Glasgow is a pretty great city, so I don't really want to move that day. Days 2 and 3 our friends are getting married in Lockerbie so we will be there celebrating with them. I am most conflicted about whether to break up the remaining time as planned, with 4 nights in Skye and 2 in Inverness, or break it up 50/50 with three nights each. What would you recommend? I currently have lodging booked as scheduled, but it is flexible and I can change it if need be.
To provide some context here are some of the things we like or are planning to do:
- Glenfinnan Viaduct while en route to Skye
- Hiking, we want to do a lot of hiking/wandering
- Loch Ness/Urqhart Castle boat trip
- Scotch Distilleries (I am hoping to do at least a couple, but ideally one in each of the four regions we will get to see)
- Nice dinner in Skye to celebrate our anniversary (thoughts on where? I am debating Three Chimneys, Loch Bay, or Edinbane Lodge - very open to suggestions)