Please sign in to post.

5 days in Scotland

I will be traveling to Scotland for about 5/6 days flying over from Dublin .....I'm thinking about starting in Glasgow since I'm flying back to the states from Edinburgh....I would like to see take a few days to other parts but not sure if Inverness is too far to go since i will not have a car and need to find a private driver or day tours.....i would love it if anyone can help me with an itinerary

Posted by
2300 posts

You can travel to Inverness by train from Glasgow in about 3.5 hours. Otherwise, you might look into various day trips. Rabbie’s is one company that offers them from Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Glasgow and Edinburgh have plenty to keep you busy if you want to focus just on those two cities for 5/6 days.

Posted by
6113 posts

With your timescale, I would split it between Glasgow and Edinburgh and take a Rabbies tour from each city to see the countryside.

Unless you tell us what you are interested in, it’s difficult to give good advice. You mention Inverness - what attracts you there?

Posted by
16 posts

I'm flying into Glasgow on 1 August. Then I will take the late bus from Glasgow to Fort William. The following day I have scheduled the Jacobite Train of Harry Potter fame. Then I take a late bus from Fort William to Oban for 2 nights. I'll book an island day tour from Oban, probably to Mull and Staffa (Fingall's Cave). I've got a few days where I haven't yet decided where to go. I might use Inverness as a base for a couple of day trips. Then I have booked the Caledonian Canal cruise fromk Inverness. Finally I take a train to Edinburgh for the Military Tattroo.

Posted by
2 posts

Your itinerary sounds quite ambitious. Are you accounting for all of your travel time needed to do the activities, not only actual travel but time to and from bus and or rail stations, taxi queues, etc?
If you've been before, and you know what you can handle then pardon me for butting in.
I just think about all the times we've had delays that were out of our control; I realize that there may be a day or two before you plan to head to Edinburgh in your schedule but I'd use those to see it- if you've not been, it can take most of a day to visit Edinburgh castle, Holyrood and the royal mile- especially when there's larger crowds in the spring and summer.

Posted by
16 posts

Nancy. Sorry I just saw your post. I've been to Edinburgh several times, and Scotland for that matter. I want to spend my time near the West Coast. Edinburgh is more expensive than other cities, so I just want to minimize my time there. I added a night in a castle near Sterling and then a couple of nights in Inverness. I know my itinerary is quite ambitious, but I think it will all work out.