Please sign in to post.

2021 Open in St. Andrews

Wife and I plan to attend Thursdays round of the 2021 (British) Open being held in St. Andrews. Looking to stay Wednesday and Thursday night in St. Andrews and then get out of town to see some of Scotland. Any recommendations for accommodations in St. Andrews? Thx in advance.

Posted by
20086 posts

You would be lucky to find any accommodations in St Andrews during Open week. Most are already spoken for by players, media, VIPs. Email every place in town now and see if they have anything available, and be prepared to take anything you can get. Otherwise, find places outside of town, maybe Dundee?

Posted by
3122 posts

If you want to be closer than Dundee, I've heard good things about Coupar; also Anstruther.

Posted by
6378 posts

My recommendation is that if you find a free room somewhere in St Andrews, book it at once! Most will already be booked. I stayed in St Andrews just before the last Open being played there and the owners of the B&B I stayed at told me that a TV-channel had a standing booking of all their rooms for all future Opens.

If you can't find anything in St Andrews, Dundee is as mentioned the closest town, with frequent buses to St Andrews. You could also look at the villages closer, like Guardbridge and Leuchars. Or the villages along the coast, Elie, St Monans, Pittenweem or Anstruther. Cupar or Glenrothes are also good places as they have direct buses to St Andrews.

Posted by
82 posts

We commuted in from a B&B just outside Perth, back in 2005. It was an easy commute for us, maybe an hour or less, and sorry but I cannot remember the name of the B&B. I think I heard they retired and closed it down. We booked way in advance.