Please sign in to post.

American(non student) trying to attain UK visa

Hi there.
I was wondering if anyone has any experience getting a visa in the UK. I'm 26, American, and do not work somewhere that has intra company transfer. I understand that with a general tier 2 visa, I need a sponsor. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this process? Do I contact the company directly and inquire for sponsorship? There's a salary minimum that worries me as well...
I'm also an artist and was possibly thinking of applying for the tier 5 creative visa, in which I would still need a sponsor. Is an artist residency a possibility? Will that only allow me a month or so? I found a great website that lists all the companies in the UK that are registered sponsors. Still unsure the best way to approach the situation.
I would ideally like to stay in UK, Scotland specifically, for at least 12 months but will take what I can get. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Posted by
21724 posts

Most of these folks are travelers without visa so not sure how good the info will be here. So double check it. Since you can stay six months without a visa, why not give it a six month shot? Do you have any linkage to a university?

Posted by
4689 posts

I have replied in your duplicate thread in another section but following on from the above, the six months allowance as a tourist is generous in world terms.

Posted by
1345 posts

The best people to contact would be your local British Consulate or Embassy. For a sponsor in a job they would have to satisfy the government that no British or EEA citizens could do the job, that they have looked.for.them. As an individual you would also satisfy them you would not be recording to public funds in order to live here. Marriage visas also get denied if the UK spouse is not deemed to have a sufficient salary or savings for that same reason.