Please sign in to post.

14 Day Itinerary

I'd appreciate any thoughts on my proposed itinerary. With the exception of several nights in Edinburgh, this allows for 1 night in Stirling and 2 nights everywhere else. I think I'd like to slow this trip down and spend 3 nights in 1 or more places, but I'm not sure where else to cut or alter. I chose to spend multiple days in Edinburgh at the beginning and end of the trip because the first 2 days are during the Fringe and the last days are after the Fringe when I'm guessing sightseeing might make more sense once the festival crowds are gone.

Day 1: Arrive in Edinburgh

Day 2: Edinburgh - Tattoo

Day 3: Pick up car, head to Pitlochry area

Day 4: Strathardle Highland Gathering, night in Pitlochry area

Day 5: Drive to Inverness

Day 6: Inverness - Culloden Battlefield

Day 7: via Loch Ness to Isle of Skye

Day 8: Isle of Skye

Day 9: via Glencoe/Fort William to Oban

Day 10: Oban (Day Trip to Iona, Mull, and Staffa)

Day 11: via Loch Lomond/Trossachs to Stirling

Day 12: drop off car, Edinburgh

Day 13: Edinburgh

Day 14: Edinburgh

Day 15: Flight home

Posted by
117 posts

Hi again, Cynthia! I did a 9 day solo driving tour of Scotland last August that didn't include Edinburgh as I was there in 2009. This time, I spent a lot of time on Mull and Skye and additional sightseeing around Inverness that I missed in 09 (Culloden, Clava Cairns and Moray Firth Dolphins). Clava Cairns are close to Culloden and if are an "Outlander" fan - this is a must see, won't take long. I went to a small town called Avoch just outside Inverness for a dolphin trip because it was a small boat of just 12 people and we got to see lots of dolphins that swam with us and under us. Avoch looked like a fun area to explore - I did stop at an organic brewery (Black Isle) after the dolphin trip but I love a good Scottish ale!! Mull and Skye are AMAZING - and I don't know if you need that much time in Edinburgh that maybe you can snag a day from there to add somewhere. There are so many sights on Skye that with 2 full days, I didn't see it all. I loved Mull as it was a little more rustic and quiet - Tobermory is fun to see and the drive across Mull to Iona was breathtakingly beautiful. I started with an ambitious itinerary and then had to drop off a couple things to give myself more time in other places. Just means I need to go back! Sad not to have time to see all on my initial list, but glad I did adjust it as it was so wonderful to not feel rushed and have time to just soak in the wonders of this awe-inspiring country. I'm envious - I still miss Scotland and can't wait to return.

Posted by
7175 posts

I'm thinking this is similar to an itinerary I made.
I'm wondering if an afternoon in Glasgow may be possible.

Day 12
Morning visit to Stirling Castle.
Afternoon in Glasgow, returning car.
Evening train to Edinburgh.

Posted by
1883 posts

Seems kind of ambitious to me. Lots of driving...but if you enjoy seeing the country from the windshield of a car, then good on you.

Isle of Skye, one day there, to me isn't near enough time. Did you want to do ANY hiking or is this just a car trip? Are you really just planning on driving around and "tagging" each place?

If you do day trip to Iona Mull and Staffa, the ferry trip to see each of these places is about 10 hours long...then you are going to drive another 3-4 hours to get to Stirling, and still have time to visit Loch Lomand/Trossachs? MIght be wise to spend a night in Oban, then continue on to Stirling...

My advise to you - slow down.... add another night in several places and get a feel for where you are. This is a bus man's holiday...just driving, driving, driving, until you get back to Edinburgh...

Just looking at this, it seems you only have hours in each place to enjoy what the location has to offer...

Posted by
3122 posts

While I agree with Ellen that you've cramming a lot into 14 days, I think it's doable provided you have plenty of energy. It would be more enjoyable if you could arrange to spend 3 weeks instead of 2. Several people I know who took their first trip to Scotland complained afterwards that they felt they were just rushing from one point to the next

The Secret Scotland website suggests many realistic driving itineraries.
https://www.secret-scotland.com/

Posted by
36 posts

I had a look at the Secret Scotland itineraries, but they seem to be even more ambitious than mine. I definitely want to catch a highland games and the two that seem to be along my route are the Strathardle games and the Glenurquhart Highland Games in Drumnadrochit (near Inverness). There won't be hiking on this trip; I have my 77 year mom with me. I favor spending multiple nights in a few key locations (less moving from lodging to lodging), but getting around the loop in 2 weeks seems to be a challenge.

Since west Scotland seems to offer more than the east and Mull sounds like a quieter area (fewer tourists) Maybe:

Day 3: Pick up car, head to Inverness area through Cairngorms, night in Inverness area

Day 4: Glenurquhart Highland Gathering, night in Inverness area

Day 5: via Loch Ness to Isle of Skye, night on Skye

Day 6: Isle of Skye

Day 7: Isle of Skye

Day 8: via Glencoe/Fort William to Oban, night in Oban

Day 9: Oban (Day Trip to Iona, Mull)

Day 10: Or Nights 8, 9 and 10 on Mull?

Day 12: drop off car, Edinburgh

Day 13: Edinburgh

Posted by
1883 posts

You new itinerary sounds much better, and now that you say that your 77 year old mother will be with you...MUCH better. Traveling and spending one night in each location...so much time on the road. Few potty breaks..and packing and unpacking every day of the trip, NOT fun.

Spending more time in a few places as you suggest now sounds great. You might spend one more day in Inverness and take in Culloden Moor...it's SO worth it...spend time in the interactive and informative information center....walk the fields and get a feel for the Clans and the Highlands. Also consider getting to Clava Cairns...it's not far, and so interesting...

Posted by
36 posts

Revised again. I don't think I've ever had such a time figuring out an itinerary. Usually, the "dots" start to line up pretty easily once I pick out my can't-miss sites.

I considered driving from Mallaig down to catch the Kilchoan ferry across to Tobermory for a couple of nights on Mull, but then I'd miss the drive to Glenfinnan and Glencoe valley. I couldn't see how to make that up without doing quite a bit of backtracking. My other consideration was that the drive from Tobermory all the way over to Stirling looks like it would be a long day if taking the route through Inveraray and Loch Lomond.

I'm hoping this gives us plenty of room for little stops here and there without any feeling of being rushed. Yet I don't want to feel that I've relaxed this schedule so much that I'll wish I'd added more later on.

Thoughts anyone?

Day 3: Pick up car, head to Inverness area through Cairngorms, night in Inverness area

Day 4: Glenurquhart Highland Gathering, night in Inverness area

Day 5: Culloden Battlefield, Clava Clairns, night in Inverness area

Day 6: via Loch Ness to Isle of Skye, night on Skye

Day 7: Isle of Skye

Day 8: Isle of Skye

Day 9: via Glenfinnan/ Glencoe/Fort William to Oban, night in Oban

Day 10: Possible Day Trip to Iona and Mull, Night in Oban

Day 12: Sites around Stirling- Castle, Wallace monument, Kelpies, Falkirk wheel-- night in Stirling

Day 13: drop off car in morning, Edinburgh airport