Please sign in to post.

Isle of Skye

Is it possible to drive and see Isle of Skye, BUT starting and returning to Oban?
I'll be coming from Inverness and sightseeing thru Glencoe, etc and planning on staying in Oban for 2 nights. With one day to do Skye. And then head off to Edinburgh.
Any suggestions? I'm thinking it's too long a drive for a day trip to Skye from Oban.

Posted by
9110 posts

Not hardly.

If you really push, from Oban you can hit the bridge in three hours - - that's six, total, just going and coming.

Posted by
19 posts

any suggestions of where else to stay? I see no listings in Mallaig in RS book.

Posted by
9110 posts

Not sure what you're trying to do, but it looks like a better plan would be to go from Inverness to Skye for the night. Then get back on the Caledonian and go on down to Glencoe and Oban. It's still going to be tough on time.

There's tons of B&Bs all over the island. No real need to depend on a guidebook for places to sleep.

Posted by
19 posts

ok. Thanks. I'll revisit those 2 days again. I'm always trying to cram too much in!

Posted by
7354 posts

We're in the midst of planning our Scotland trip for this coming August, and have definitely decided on staying on Skye, but where and for how long hasn't been decided. Are you planning to drive by, and view, sights from your car, do an organized tour, and/or do any hiking or other activities? Depending on how much of Skye to intend to visit, that could affect things. Also, we understand that roads are narrow and twisty, and driving speeds will be slow on Skye and much of western Scotland. If only there was more time, or you had a jet helicopter . . .

Posted by
19 posts

the helicopter would be good!
we're just spending the day driving around Skye. My sister and her husband don't want to spen single days in a hotel, so I'm trying to bunch up the hotels, but don't want to keep driving over the same roads either...no time to waste!

Posted by
5678 posts

You should be able to find a place to stay either in Mallaig or on Skye. Try going to VisitScotland's Accommodation page and search on Mallaig or Armadale and say within 10 miles. You'll find places. I really like the look of this one in Mallaig. Here's one near the ferry on Skye. Don't specify B&B and you'll get more choices.

Pam