Please sign in to post.

Where to drop the rental car?

Our last night in Scotland will be spent in Oban. The next day we will take an an afternoon train to York, and plan to arrive in York around 4PM. I'm looking at options for the easiest place to drop a rental car. Below are the options I've come up with, but am open to other ideas.

1. Drop car at Edinburgh airport (and avoid driving in downtown Edinburgh), take Air Links bus to Downtown catch 1:30 train (what time would we have to drop the car?)
  2. Drop car down town near train station. We'll have GPS, but driving in traffic on the wrong side of the road might be more stress than we want
  3. Drop car in Stirling, Take cab or bus to train station (2 miles away). Catch noon train from Stirling, connect in Edinburgh to York. If we left Oban at 7:00 or 7:30, would we have time to see Stirling Castle before the train, or is that too rushed?

One other questions, if google maps says 2hrs 15 minutes Oban to Stirling, in reality, how many extra minutes should we really plan on?

Posted by
5678 posts

All of those solutions will work.

Personally, I don't think it is that hard to drive into Edinburgh. If you've driven into San Francisco, Edinburgh will not be any more difficulty. If you are going to Stirling anyway, that might be the best solution. Drive to the city and check out the castle--easy parking there--and then drop your car off and catch the train to Edinburgh.

Pam

Posted by
9110 posts

You've got a lot of administrative time switching modes of transportation, and moving junk around. You'd also be paying for at least two modes of transportation (probably three) on the same day,

Thus Option 4: keep on driving until you get to York. It's well less than six hours of road time from Oban, a bit more than six if you swing through Stirling, Stirling to York is well less than four.

Back to #1: The buses from Turnhouse to Waverly run from right in front of the terminal The car joints are a good ten-minute walk away, but there's free luggage carts. Usually when you turn in a car they run out and inspect it and there might be a line. Figure a half hour for the whole mess.

Back to #2: Driving in to Waverly will probably be easier than weaving into Turnhouse, Car return is not as easy and luggage carts are scarce.

Back to #3: The whole idea is nuts.

Oban to Stirling is righty at two hours until you cross the M-9. After that, who knows?

Posted by
1626 posts

Good advice Ed.

I think I'd previously dismissed the idea of driving to York, but that was before I looked into the details of returning the rental, train schedules, etc. We can just make a day of our 6 hour road trip down to York and stop along the way and not be tied to any schedule.

Posted by
7 posts

If you're going to the castle, make sure you call ahead to see if it's open to the public. My husband and I tried to see both Stirling and then Holyrood the same day and could't get into either of them because the Queen was going to be at both of them. Hugely disappointing!

Posted by
7 posts

If you're going to the castle, make sure you call ahead to see if it's open to the public. My husband and I tried to see both Stirling and then Holyrood the same day and could't get into either of them because the Queen was going to be at both of them. Hugely disappointing!

Posted by
5678 posts

The Queen is often in Scotland in September. So, bear that in mind when traveling there. :) You can always check the Royal Web site for news.

Posted by
1626 posts

Good advice on the Royals. Thanks

Posted by
124 posts

There are so many amazing things to see outside of York and the majority of them can only be done in the car. I've done 3 crazy long drives; from Wales to Glasgow, from Edinburgh to Wales and from the Lake District along the Wall (45 miles) and then straight down to York.

I personally would do the drive, if you've never send Stirling or the Walls is so worth it and the motor ways are very easy.

I would say add on another 30 minutes to get from Oban to Stirling.
What's the rental car company that your working with?