Hi to all the wonderful posters on this forum and thanks in advance for any help!
We are planning a trip to Scotland end of June - early July. We will be coming up from York towards Edinburgh on Day 1 of our Scotland trip, then looking to fly out of Inverness on Day 12 early morning. We also looked at flying out of EDI and Glasgow, but Inverness is (at the moment) significantly less expensive for us (returning back to LA).
So. I've read on this forum that we can't trust Google Maps for driving times - is there a source that is more accurate?
We are thinking of visiting the following in roughly this order:
- Edinburgh - 2-3 nights (the first night I am assuming we will be arriving late afternoon / early evening as we are driving up from York, with some stops along the way)
- Mull / Iona - 2-3 nights
- Isle of Skye - 3 nights
- Inverness area - 2 nights (arriving afternoon, spend the night, a day to sight see Culloden, etc, another night, and then fly out 7am the next morning) (Not planning on staying in Inverness, but possibly near Dingwall (my husband's a Davidson and it is cheesy, but we were thinking of staying in Tulloch Castle if they have the availability since it was part of Clan Davidson lands once upon a time. I have an email out to them, we will see)
We prefer country to city, we love water (ocean, rivers, lakes, etc), we enjoy castles and their history (but not too many) we wouldn't mind going kayaking and fishing if we can find a good guide, we like hiking, and we don't want to spend our entire trip in the car, and so have tried to leave breathing room (after reading some of the other whirlwind tours planned by others in this forum - good lessons and advice from all!)
Questions (in addition to a source for accurate timescales between locations):
1) Does this give enough breathing room and time to enjoy locations?
2) We had originally planned more of a round trip back to EDI and fly to LHR from there, but the fares are so much better out of Inverness, so we would be missing that entire part of the country between Edinburgh and Inverness since we'd be heading up west coast from Mull to Skye. Are we missing anything of interest if we do that?
3) We have an extra day or so in this itinerary....any other recommendations of things not to miss (that aren't super far out of the way)
Many many thanks for any input!!