Please sign in to post.

Edinburgh Hotels for August, 2022.

We are taking the R.S. 13 day tour of Scotland. Please advise of hotels in Edinburgh that are less than $300 US. The B &B Edinburgh is extremely expensive. Thanks. JJKC.

Posted by
32750 posts

will you be trying to find less expensive places during The Fringe and the Tattoo?

Or will you miss them?

If you are looking while they are in town rooms will be hard to find, inexpensive ones even harder...

Posted by
8375 posts

August is a very busy month in Edinburgh. Prices will be higher.
I have stayed at the Premier Inn City Centre (York Place) and was pleased. The tram from the airport stops opposite the front door of the hotel so getting there from the airport couldn't be easier. It is about 5 blocks from Waverly Station and about 3 blocks from the Bus Station.
I picked a random date in August and rooms were as low as 219 pounds with advance purchase.

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/scotland/lothian/edinburgh/edinburgh-city-centre-york-placest-james-quarter.html

edited to add: If you stay here, ask for a room on a higher floor with a bay view.

Posted by
2427 posts

You can look at Motel One Edinburgh. There are two hotels both convenient to Waverly Station - the Princes Street and the Royal. We are booked at the one on Princes Street for August during the Fringe and Tattoo. I cannot vouch for either of these places as I have not stayed in either. They get mixed reviews. The price is decent. I am not getting the hotel breakfast as it is pricy for what it is. There are better places nearby for breakfast.

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks to all. At this time we do not plan to attend the Military Tattoo. I will take a look at Premier Inn/York Place and also Motel One/Princess street and Royal. Any additional rec. would be welcome. Close to tram line is helpful if we are away from city center. I contacted the B & B directly for pricing and they wanted $800 for one night. Yikes! jjkc

Posted by
8375 posts

We walked to the city center from the Premier Inn without difficulties, it was about 10 minutes. You could take the tram to get closer and make it 5 minutes if you wanted. The real convenience with the tram is getting to the hotel from the airport.

Posted by
2427 posts

What are your dates? I looked at B&B Edinburgh at the beginning of August and the rate is about $239 a night for two people. Are you sure the rate quoted was not for a few nights? I looked at this hotel for the beginning of our RS Scotland tour during the Fringe and Tattoo which is the pricier time and it wasn’t that expensive.

Posted by
991 posts

We stayed just outside of Edinburgh in a leafy suburb at https://justbedinburgh.com/. hosted by Karen. You can catch the bus into town which takes about 15-20 mins. This B&B is actually about 8 miles from the Airport. We really enjoyed our stay here with Karen. Her breakfast is amazing!

Posted by
98 posts

We just left Edinburgh after staying at the Motel One-Royal. It is in a great location (close to public transportation and the Royal Mile). The rooms can be small, and the breakfast is more Spartan than we have found at a Premier Inn. However, Motel Ones seem to be well-staffed and convenient for those using public transportation. We stayed at Motel One-Royal twice during our trip and at Motel One-Glasgow once.