Please sign in to post.

st petersburg

Hi I am visiting St Petersburg in October and plan to go to the Hermitage. I am a senior and have some difficulty walking. Can anyone tell me if wheelchairs are available in the building and if so is there a cost and do I have to pre-book
Thanks in advance Lisa

Posted by
8130 posts

There are a number of great tour operators there. You can find them on TripAdvisor. I suggest you send one an email.
We went to the Hermitage 2 years ago and all I remember were steps.

Posted by
2047 posts

The Hermitage lends wheelchairs for free. You do not need to make a reservation. Know that the elevators are a bit hard to find, but the staff are very helpful. Also know if you plan to visit the impressionist building, they also have wheelchairs, though the elevators require a staff member to access.

Posted by
2047 posts

The Russian Museum, which is also great, also has wheelchairs to borrow for free.

Posted by
4140 posts

Since Becky refers to the impressionist art , I think she is referencing the General Staff Building across the square opposite the Winter Palace . You will see works contained from the Morosov and Schukin collections ( post revolution ) in that venue .

Posted by
4140 posts

Sorry , my wife just informed me that the impressionist installation is , indeed , a part of the main Hermitage building . But don't miss the General Staff Building in any event . Also , another vote for The Russian Museum . Writing from Moscow , back in St Petersburg in ten days !

Posted by
2047 posts

When we were there this March, the Impressionist art was now housed in the General Staff building across the big square. It was in the main building until recently. Luckily, the same ticket gets you into both buildings, but you do have to check in at the bis office for the second building. Both buildings are wonderful. Steve, enjoy you upcoming trip. We enjoyed St. Petersburg even more the second time.

Posted by
5 posts

We just completed a three day private tour in St. Petersburg. Our group had one wheelchair and one electric scooter. Yes, the Hermitage does lend wheelchairs, however, you have to climb 2 sets of stairs to reach the wheelchair area. It doesn't make much sense. Europe is not as wheelchair friendly as the US, but with a little effort, most everything can be seen. Enjoy!

Posted by
2047 posts

The Hermitage has small elevators for the entrace steps to get up to the main entrance. Staff were very helpful operating them or us.

Posted by
8038 posts

When we were there last fall the Impressionists were in the General Staff Building; don't miss the Rembrandts in the Winter Palace IMHO the best things in the entire museum.

Posted by
4140 posts

Hello Becky and Janet , We are in St Petersburg now , second visit yesterday to the Russian Museum , spectacular as ever . Today we visited the memorial cemetery on the outskirts of the city which is the burial site of 500,000 people who died in the protracted siege of the city from 1941 to 1944 . The suffering they endured is incomprehensible . At the foot of the cemetery , there is a cenotaph
presided over by a statue of Mother Russia who weeps for her lost children.

Posted by
445 posts

Steven,
Piskaryovskoe memorial cemetery, in my opinion, is one of the most important sights in St.Petersburg if one is to appreciate the city for what it is and what its people had to live through in the 20th century, rather than for all the imperial glamour. Thank you for mentioning it.
To steer the discussion back to the original topic - is it wheelchair accessible?
Thanks.

Posted by
4140 posts

Yes, once you arrive , we traveled via metro and connecting bus .

Posted by
4140 posts

Lisa , live update from St Petersburg . We are here now and have spent the last three days at the Hermitage . Absolutely no issue with wheelchairs . They are right at the entrance just past security . It will be necessary for you to work out the logistics either in advance or on arrival , but there is no question pertaining to availability either in the Winter Palace or the General Staff venue .

Posted by
445 posts

Steven, how are the crowds at the five "must-sees" this time of year? Any surges due to cruise line schedules?
Thanks!

Posted by
4140 posts

No major problems that I encountered , about a twenty minute window for entrance to the Hermitage , winter palace venue