Please sign in to post.

Moscow June 2-4 2015

I am a single female traveler, looking for walking tours etc for Kremlin, subway, any ideas? Anyone on Tallin to St.Petersburg tour adding on Moscow? Maybe we can form a "group" for tours?

Posted by
1840 posts

Here I thought you were talking about Moscow, Idaho. We can arrange a walking tour.

Posted by
333 posts

A lot of people hire private guides for Moscow/St Petersburg tours. I can tell you that with a little self research (google), Moscow is fairly easy to navigate on your own. I recommend paying the extra to get a hotel near Red Square and the Kremlin. My daughter and I stayed at Hotel Assamblaya Nikitskaya which was a lovely walk to those places, as well as Alexander Park (gorgeous) and plenty of shopping and food places. To stay further out of the city just leaves you at the mercy of Russian traffic which is terrible at best. It could take you over an hour to go a few miles. You want to be able to walk or have easy access to the subway. The metro is easy to navigate and when walking you should cross the intersections by going though the subway entrances underground (lots of shopping there too) rather than trying to cross the streets.

If you'd rather have a tour, you could browse thorugh the various Moscow tour options at viator dot com. I didn't use them in Russia, but have used them in several European countries with great success and I'll be using them again in Europe next month.

If you go to St Petes, be sure to take a canal cruise. It's the best way to see the city!

Have a great time in Russia!
Lisa

Posted by
7209 posts

We've used www.toursbylocals.com in several cities/countries and have always been well pleased. For Moscow we chose Dan Petrov and really like having him with us the entire time. He's a great guy, easy to work with, very intelligent. I'm sure there are others, but Dan was my only experience - and we're using him again this July. His own personal website is www.waytomoscow.com

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you all for input! Moscow is turning into a much more expensive side trip than I thought...

Posted by
2047 posts

We were just in Moscow and loved it. It seemed very safe. We stayed at the Best Western Vega which was very reasonable (about $70/ night) and close to a metro- just 4 stops to Red Square (about 15 min ride). You can book a taxi at the airport to the hotel via the official taxi counter for about $17. We especially loved The Pushkin Fine Arts 18th and 20th century art gallery- many wonderful impressionist and other paintings. We were even able to get rush tickets for the Bolshoi ballet for only about $25. We saw Ivan the Terrible which was spectacular. Enjoy your trip!