Please sign in to post.

Late reply to #367, "Driving in Europe"

I just happened to listen to some of the older shows, and this one had some information on driving a car in Europe. I'd just like to comment on a few minor points concerning driving in Germany:

• One of your show guests got the colors of the Autobahn signs mixed up. In Germany, they are blue. Not sure where they might be green except for the U.S. freeways.

• "The ethic is: Never cruise in the fast lane" - that is certainly true. And if you take into consideration that passing on the right hand side is illegal, this does make a lot of sense. It is in fact quite dangerous to hog the center lane or left lane at a slow speed, and drivers who do that have been known to be pulled over by the police.

• I absolutely have to comment on the information that Germans hit the brakes hard the moment they see a speed limit sign: The reason for that is not that we are such obedient, law-abiding people as we are generally reputed to be. The reason is: We know there is a speed trap coming up around the next corner! And getting caught speeding by 80 km/h above the speed limit (your example of 180km/h in a 100 km/h zone) -- you might as well turn in your driver's license right away.

Posted by
8889 posts

Autobahn signs are green in Switzerland and Italy (I guess Switzerland copied Italy).
And, according to Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_European_road_signs ), also in Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Romania, Russia, Belarus, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden and Ukraine
AFAIK everywhere else is blue.

The colour for main roads is totally different in different countries: Germany yellow, Switzerland blue, France Green

This causes a few lost tourists every year, who cross over the border from France or Germany, then at the first split in the Autobahn automatically follow the blue signs and end up on the exit to Basel city centre.

Posted by
1117 posts

Thanks for adding this.

This causes a few lost tourists every year, who cross over the border
from France or Germany, then at the first split in the Autobahn
automatically follow the blue signs and end up on the exit to Basel
city centre.

Great. So then we know where we'll have to look for Rick if he follows the somewhat confusing color advice of this show. :-)