Please sign in to post.

Which neighborhood in Lisbon?

We are planning on a week in Lisbon, the last week of February, and I'm trying to pick the right neighborhood for us. We don't usually like to stay right in the tourist center but do like to be near enough to walk or take short (15 - 20 minutes) public transportation. We don't need much nightlife, just local restaurants and safe areas to walk home. Suggestions for places to stay in that neighborhood would be great, too.

We also prefer a small hotel, or a B & B, and might do an Airbnb or serviced apartment. Breakfast doesn't need to be included.

(for some background: here are some places we've stayed. In Paris: le Marais. In Barcelona: Gracia. In Prague: Vinrohadry. In Madrid: Chamberi. In Rome: Testaccio. In Munich: Neuhausen-Nymphenburg)

Posted by
1676 posts

You might want to check out Campo do Ourique. It’s off the tourist track and has nice restaurants and a small Mercado complete with restaurants. It’s a family neighborhood and is actually flat - a rare thing in Lisbon. There might be only Airbnb type accommodation. When I stayed there a month several years ago there were zero hotels or tourist shops!

Posted by
55 posts

We have stayed 3 times near the Principe Real around a little park (Praca das flores). Not too touristy and close to the areas you would want to explore.
Kathryn's suggestion (Campo de Orique) is also great. Plus there is a Mercado there that is great.

Dennis

Posted by
954 posts

I haven’t been but read on another thread that people love to stroll the Alfama. I also was told to look at Chiado.

Posted by
25 posts

I would love to know about any hotels in Campo do Ourique area, I have not found.

Posted by
163 posts

We love Mouraria. It's close to the Alfama but 100% more authentic.