Please sign in to post.

whatsapp?

It's been recommended to me that I download this app so I can call within Portugal to/from Spain; has anyone used this and how much does it cost to call?
Thanks,
Jean

Posted by
1166 posts

You just download the app from the app store and call and send photos or text for free !

We use it every time we travel. You just have to make sure that your family and friends ALSO have the app so that they can receive your calls.

Posted by
1166 posts

And you do need to be on wifi - just use the free wifi you would get in a cafe or your hotel.

Posted by
495 posts

Thank you this clears it up; I was originally told it was free even in your car... not; you have to be on wifi as is everyone you want to call. How easy is it to find free wifi while on the road?

Jean

Posted by
1671 posts

Whatsapp will use your data plan if you aren’t on WiFi, so be aware of that.
I use it to text, call and video chat with family in the States frequently. It costs me nothing extra than my usual monthly cell phone fee.

Posted by
80 posts

Hello jean.h3131,

Apart from that app you can also use Facebook or Skype for example - they both have video and phone calls and you can text as well; furthermore, (almost) everyone uses Facebook :) WiFi is a must as well ;)

Enjoy your trip :D

Posted by
32750 posts

If both parties have an Apple product, Facetime is free and efficient.

Posted by
446 posts

Google Hangouts does free texting, voice and video calls using wifi. Other party needs to have it as well. Put your phone on airplane mode so it won't use data if not on wifi. McDonalds has wifi. We've popped in for a Coke with ice and to use the wifi in several countries :D

Posted by
5687 posts

Carolyn, you can call regular phones with Hangouts, even landlines - the other person does not necessarily need to have Hangouts. Obviously you can't do video calls with Hangouts to landlines, etc. Voice calls to US phones are free, too.