Please sign in to post.

Visiting Sintra

We plan a day trip from Lisbon to Sintra in mid April. We probably will have time to visit only one palace. Which one should we visit the Pena Palace or the National Palace?

Thanks
Sam

Posted by
1166 posts

Pena ! Ride the train into Sintra and take the bus up to Pena Palace. Then hike down through the canopied forest to the Moorish castle, Castelo do Mouros, before following the scenic path back into Sintra.

Posted by
114 posts

I second Pena Palace! I was there in November and visited both palaces and the Moorish castle ruins. The Pena Palace was by far my favorite and much more extravagant with incredible details, colors and great views!

Posted by
11 posts

How long do folk recommend as a minimum time for visiting the Moorish Castle and Pena Palace? 2 hrs, 3, 4, ...?

Posted by
25 posts

Touch choices! I would probably lean toward the National Palace of Pena (there are two+ "National Palaces" in Sintra - get them mixed up and you might end up at the wrong one!)

The Pena Palace also has some great views. The Moorish Castle is the ultimate for views but not much left of it.

Perhaps a better option world be to skip the Moorish Castle if tight on time and go to the Quinta da Regaleira instead. The most under-rated place in Sintra even though a World Heritage site on its own. Often the highest rated and I personally think - the most magical place in all of Portugal. It does take some time to fully apprecaite it.

Both palaces can be done in a day. In fact, tours from Lisbon can take you to all four sites in a day. Depends on your interests, how much you want to learn at each site, planning, the weather, crowds, shape you are in, etc.

A convenient train gets you back to the heart of Lisbon. It woild be a shame to only take in one palace when there is so much more to see there.

Posted by
1878 posts

I always tell people to stay overnight in Sintra for two nights if at all possible. Pena Palace, the National Palace, and the Moorish castle are all very worthwhile. Also the botanical garden. Sintra may be my favorite small town in all of Europe. But if you have to only visit as a day trip, I would lean toward the National Palace. It's much older and I think has greater historical significance. The Pena Palace is amazing too, you will not be disappointed if you choose that one either (it does tend to go on forever though). Bonus of he National Palace is you are right there in town to explore before or after. Pena and the Moorish castle are up on the hill.