Please sign in to post.

Vegetarian

I have been practicing vegetarian no animal foods, no fats, oils or milk or cheese. Most of the videos I see are very greasy fish. Can you get vegetarian food in Lisbon? I have to eat in the restaurant.

Posted by
8941 posts

Your diet sounds more like a vegan diet rather than vegetarian. Good luck. My daughter is vegan and she really struggled finding food when we were walking the Camino through Portugal.

Stick with pasta dishes, with tomato sauces, potatoes, rice, salads. Some places will just make you a platter of vegetables if you ask.

Posted by
1665 posts

Most restaurants will have vegetarian dishes. I’m not so certain about vegan. But, if you do a search on vegan restaurants Lisbon, a number of places come up. Avoiding fats and oils may be your biggest challenge.

Posted by
15582 posts

do you mean no animal oils or none at all? I haven't been yet - going in May - but I'm assuming olive oil is the most prevalent, as it is in Spain, Italy and Greece.

Posted by
410 posts

Don't go to Portugal.
The national foods are pork, pork, sardines, sardines.
And, potatoes.

Posted by
8941 posts

If you tell us more specifically what you can eat or not eat, it would be helpful. Is it no oils, or just animal based fats like butter or lard? If it is a vegan diet, then we can make more recommendations. What videos are you watching? Do you eat eggs? Any dairy products?
I am sure if you look on Trip Advisor for restaurants in Lisbon, you can use their filter to find vegetarian or vegan restaurants. This is not difficult to do.

Posted by
69 posts

Pretty much I eat vegetables, fruit, pasta, potato, no Meat, or no oil, no milk or cheese. when i went to Italy I couldn't tolerate their food.
Some flexibility with the diet is ok at times. Its not a strict diet. The video of the salted fish on the racks looked unappetizing.