Please sign in to post.

Using ATMs

My first trip to Portugal will be in October, on a RS tour. I have used ATMs in many European countries without problems (such as a machine eating my card), but usually have tried to use those associated with BOA to avoid extra fees, and at banks that were open just in case I did have a problem. My group of four arrives in Lisbon midday on a Sunday, with the tour meeting at 5pm on Monday. We are interested in a day trip to Sintra on Monday timed to get us back in time for the tour. The guide, one mentioned in the RS book, can do that, but needs payment in cash. The hotel has a Euronet ATM in the lobby, but RS says to avoid independent ATMs like Euronet because of high fees and possibly being less secure—he recommends Multibanc. There is a Multibanc ATM not too far from the hotel. We could walk there on Sunday afternoon, but of course the bank won’t be open if there is a problem with our cards—first use in Portugal. I read that banks open at 8:30 on Monday; we could go then, but that will shorten our tour, since we would be picked up at 8:30.

My question is, under these circumstances, should we take a chance on withdrawing what we need on Sunday afternoon or be at the Multibanc ATM right at 8:30 Monday morning? My friend thought maybe we should get the euros we need here so that we have them when we arrive. I don’t think we’d get the best rate, but it is an alternative that would mean we could get additional euros during a different day when the bank is open.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I don’t recall ever having a need for a lot of cash immediately after arriving somewhere. Would be nice if the guide accepted cards, but I can understand why a small business wouldn’t want their fees. And thanks in advance for any thoughts—the RS forums (fora!) are such a great resource!

Posted by
3207 posts

I don't like going to ATMs alone when traveling, so I used the tap/wave feature on my ATM card at the Spanish ATMs, quick and easy. Portugal is likely different, but just throwing that thought out there. Search Multibanc to determine if all or some of their ATMs are tap/wave (I'm sure there is an official name but just started my morning coffee). This way you don't have to worry about the machine eating your card. Apparently, you can also use your Smartphone, but I didn't try that. Just a thought...

Otherwise, I'd go to AAA and get Euros before I left, if I were you.

Posted by
2394 posts

If you are just withdrawing a smallish amount, I would just use the dreaded euronet in the lobby. As long as you decline transacting in Dollars the result shouldn't be too bad.
I suspect that would still be better than getting euro in the US.

I was recently in Portugal and used bank machines from various banks with no additional fees.

Posted by
315 posts

Not that card issues don't happen, but I can't think of an instance where we have had to physically go into a bank in Europe. Just make sure your bank/card issuer knows you are traveling, and yes, absolutely avoid Euronet and other non-bank ATMS. We usually have some euros to start with, we feel it's worth the extra cost to have something on hand. Sometimes reducing your stress level is worth the extra buck or two.

There are probably Multibanc ATMs at the airport too. You might also check with your guide - I am sure he/she would be happy to wait 15 minutes while you went to the bank, or they might be able to stop on the way to Sintra, etc.

Posted by
270 posts

Only use the Multibanco ATM their logo is MB inside a square.
Multibanco is a ATM network owned and operated by the banks and have the lowest fees, all others are run by third parties and have the highest fees.

Posted by
4766 posts

Perhaps the guide knows the location of an acceptable atm that you will pass during your tour? Good luck!

Posted by
271 posts

Thanks for all the replies. It reinforces the idea of avoiding the Euronet ATM and sticking to Multibanc. I will ask the guide about either stopping by one at the beginning of the tour or if there's an easy Multibanc in Sintra. I'm sure using one on Sunday when the bank is closed would probably be fine, but since there are other alternatives, no need to take even a small chance.

Posted by
4650 posts

My ATM card was eaten by a Multibanco ATM in Portugal.

The local bank informed me many of the banks use these Multibanco ATMs, which are operated by a third party company. The bank personnel were unable to open the ATMs themselves to retrieve a card.

They also told me that there was "no reason" that their local bank would have held my card. If the card was retained, it would have been on instruction from my bank, not theirs. So, even if they could access it, they would not be allowed to return it to me.

I called my bank and learned there was a possibility of fraud, so my bank sent me a new card via DHL. It arrived in 2 business days, which was actually 3 days, with an intervening local bank holiday.

Because of the possible fraud, I didn't inquire further whether Multibanco personnel could have come and returned my card, perhaps with instruction from my bank, if they would have approved.

Bottom line, the shared system of Multibanco ATMs may, at the very least, complicate getting your card back - even at a bank during business hours.

Posted by
271 posts

How awful, CWSocial! Was the ATM you had problems with a free-standing one, or was it at a Multibanc location? Is there any way of knowing whether the ATM is operated by a third-party company?

Posted by
7569 posts

Is there any way of knowing whether the ATM is operated by a third-party company?

No, but you can be assured that any larger bank likely contracts the operation of ATMs out, or has a separate division that manages the ATM. The concern about a card being "eaten" and walking inside the bank to get it back is a bit outdated and likely not to happen. Maybe a very small independent bank...maybe, but again, not likely. It is also the thing that is rare enough that you hardly need worry about it, and for travel anymore, you may only use an ATM once or twice on a trip, if at all.

Look, if need cash, use the nearest ATM. The most fees are going to come from your BOA agreement, yes, you can count on the Euronet ATMs to charge a fee, but there is no guarantee that the Multibanco will not, if it is in a tourist area, it likely will, and close to what the Euronet one will. Convenience has a price, do not waste an hour or two of your vacation trying to save 3 euros, use a close ATM and go have a glass of wine near the water.

Posted by
4650 posts

The ATM was a Multibanco ATM attached to a bank. I'd have to look at my photos to see which bank it was, but there aren't any Multibanco banks, AFAIK.

Multibanco, the third party company, only provides the ATMs and their servicing. As I understand it, all of the Multibanco ATMs are "third party."

Posted by
4650 posts

I should add, the fraud situation that occurred was an extremely rare oddity with a replacement card when mine had expired. And a preponderance of caution from the bank.

Nothing to do with travel or fraud in Portugal.

ETA: I had Euros from a prior trip so I was fine for those days. And 2 backup debit cards that I could have used. But I prefer avoiding their fees so I used my credit card and was conservative with cash into my better, replacement card arrived.

Posted by
5623 posts

I just returned from Portugal. We had 100 euros from a previous trip (we always do this) If we hadn’t had euros prior to the trip, we would not have obtained them locally before travel because it is an expensive way to obtain euros. We had no problems finding ATMs and used Multibanco. Generally ones affiliated with a bank during bank hours. We always travel with two ATM cards and multiple credit cards. Most places in Portugal take credit cards. You may find you need change for parking meters and sometimes restrooms. A few restaurants wanted cash and also we had one inn that wanted cash. This was in Piodao, well away from any urban area.

Some folks need the peace of mind of physically having cash prior to leaving on a trip. If that is the case, I’d recommend the very bare minimum, like 50 euro, unless you just don’t need to care about what exchange rate you get.

We’ve traveled a lot in Europe and never had issues with our process. We went to Poland and didn’t obtain zlotys prior to leaving.

CWSocial, I’m so sorry you had problems. So Frustrating! Sounds like it was more related to possible fraud than an issue with Multibanco. As I planned my trip, I followed a very large Portugal Facebook group. Multibanco is the overwhelmingly suggested ATM. But, it is just no fun to be in that situation. We had problems with credit cards a few times. Every time I used my VISA card for gas or bus tickets, my card was temporarily frozen. Nordstrom Visa said they had been adjusting fraud control measures. In any case, it was aggravating for us.

@Lois, I wouldn’t worry about obtaining euros at a multibanco when it’s closed. Ideally, I try during bank hours, but that is not always possible.

Posted by
3167 posts

Rule #1 - always take more than one bank’s debit card.
Rule #2 - always use a bank affiliated ATM.
Rule #3 - never approve transactions in US$.
Rule #4 - make sure to read all screens before approving your withdrawal.

Fortunately, after 20+ trips to Europe, I have never had a problem with an ATM. There was a bank owned ATM close to my hotel on Sardinia that on the last page added fees and FX rates that would have cost me 10%+ on the withdrawal. Found a different bank.

Posted by
4650 posts

Rule #5 - make sure your card is working at home, shortly before your travels.

Posted by
4650 posts

Sounds like it was more related to possible fraud than an issue with Multibanco

You are absolutely correct, jules m. And, in fact, my replacement card worked just fine in Multibanco ATMs for the rest of my trip through 3 cities in Portugal. When I got up the nerve to try it 😁

Posted by
4650 posts

Generally ones affiliated with a bank during bank hours.

jules m, to help lois, the OP, do you remember which bank it was that you found that had bank affiliated ATMs in Portugal? I thought I saw one in Lisbon, but didn't try to confirm that it was, in fact, the bank's own ATM rather than third party like Multibanco ATMs.

Posted by
271 posts

BOA lists the in their Global Network that don't charge a lot of fees, but few are in Portugal. Barclay's and Deutsche Bank would be good, but it looks like neither Lisbon branch is convenient to the hotel, and chasing around to go there might not be worth whatever is saved in fees.

I had no idea it would be so complicated! I've found it easy to locate affiliated banks in Italy, France, and Spain. Between an international transaction fee, an out-of-network fee, and an access fee (not sure where the $5 usage fee fits in), I'm beginning to wonder if getting euros here would be easier! Never did that before, though. I've usually found banks in BOA's Global Alliance, and never had a problem with very high fees.

Posted by
1152 posts

A backup debit card might provide some peace of mind when traveling away from home. A second card might take the worry about your primary card being eaten by a foreign ATM. As others have noted, even if the bank is open, it may not help. I had a card gobbled by an ATM at a bank in D.C. Although the ATM was located at a bank that was open, the bank would not give my card back to me. They said they were prohibited from doing so by their agreement with Visa.

If you are wondering about which bank would be the best one to use as a backup debit card, I recommend Schwab. No fees and it reimburses fees other banks charge. My backup card is Capital One 360. No foreign fees, but you will have to pay any fees the ATM imposes. More advice: Foreign ATM fees.

Posted by
271 posts

Another debit card might be a good idea--I have a Capital One Visa that i was going to bring, but that's a credit card, not a debit one. Maybe opening a small checking account there would give me a debit card that doesn't involve fees.

Posted by
2359 posts

For your situation, I'd just order Euros ahead of time. I know it's not the cheapest route, but it avoids all the stress on arrival - and you'll likely be jet lagged, which will make the whole thing feel 1000 times worse if something goes wrong. I'd consider the unfavorable exchange rate a pretty low fee for smoother, stress free travels.

I second Paul's recommendation to get a back up debit card regardless. I also have a Capitol One 360 checking account. It has a contactless MasterCard debit card and it worked great on my last trip to Europe. I don't recall being charged fees other than by a one-off ATM. If the card didn't work great, I used my other credit union Visa branded debit card. You have plenty of time to set something up before you go and make sure it works fine: https://www.capitalone.com/bank/checking-accounts/online-checking-account/

Side note: in the off chance your day trip runs in to traffic/delay coming back to meet your group, I'd suggest leaving a note for the guide with the hotel front desk, or communicate with them via contact info they'll likely have put on a sign at the front desk. If you're delayed, they know your plans and won't wonder why you're missing.

Posted by
271 posts

Thanks for your good ideas, CL. I just opened a Capital One checking account (amazing how easy to do that online) so will have that as a debit card to use. And with that in hand, I probably will stop by a Multibanco near the hotel on Sunday, especially if I can just wave the card at the machine and don't have to put it in!

And we definitely will leave a note for the guide--hadn't thought about that but it is a good idea.

And many thanks to all who posted--so wonderful to have such a responsive group of folks when questions come up!

Posted by
4650 posts

Knowing that I had 2 backup debit cards (and some Euros from a prior trip) made my gobbled-ATM situation into more of a curiosity puzzle than a panic.

Posted by
271 posts

Having more than one card is definitely good for peace of mind. I now will have two debit cards, and two credit cards with no exchange transaction fees, so I think I'm set for this one!

Posted by
5623 posts

CW, you make an excellent point. I rarely use cash at home and my husband keeps me supplied since he typically is past the bank more often. So, before my trip rather than load up on expensive euros, I check both of my ATM cards by withdrawing a bit of money and making sure I know the PINS.

Posted by
27168 posts

I'm glad there's less need for withdrawing money from ATMs these days, because I've had issues three times in Eueope. Mind you, I travel a lot, and in the past I made a lot of small withdrawals to avoid getting notes larger than 20 euros, so I had a lot of exposure to ATMs.

One of my problems occurred during banking hours in Lyon, and the bank retrieved the card for me.

The other two incidents were in Salamanca, Spain--different ATMs, but perhaps owned by the same bank. I remember thinking at the time that the machines looked rather old and not well maintained. In both cases I got the requested money but my card wasn't returned.

On the first occasion I remembered a post here on the forum about pressing the Cancel button, and sure enough, it worked. It was like magic.

So when I had the same problem a day or two later, I pressed Cancel again. No dice. I stood there at the machine, thinking about what I could do outside banking hours and with plans to leave the city before banks would reopen. The ATM was showing the usual Welcome screen, suggesting that it thought my earlier transaction had been completed to everyone's satisfaction. Eventually it occurred to me to try making another small withdrawal. Sure enough, I got the additional money and the machine managed to spit out my card.

So my suggestion when an ATM eats your card outside bank hours (or if the bank won't help) is to try pressing Cancel first. If that doesn't work and the ATM has returned to its default screen, try another withdrawal. It already has your card; what other disaster can befall you?

Posted by
271 posts

That's great information, acraven--thanks for sharing. Of course, I'm sure we all hope we don't need to use it!!

Posted by
68 posts

Even my local US bank uses third parties for their ATMs; crazy, I know.
I have traveled for decades taking money from ATMs outside of banks. One time I was very jetlagged and inserted the card incorrectly. That bank was able to retrieve it for me.
However, for peace of mind, get some euros from your local bank. I have found the cost to be less expensive than AAA.