Please sign in to post.

trip to Portugal

My wife and I are planning a trip to Portugal. We arrive in Lisbon on Nov. 4th in the mid day. our plan is to tour Lisbon and surrounding area for 5 days. Then we are planning to rent a car and drive to Porto. leave Porto on Nov. 14th early morning. Questions?
1. Is It worth renting a car and seeing the country between Lisbon and Porto or Is taking the train better.
2. if Yes, what should we stop and see along the way.
3. I don't know anything about Porto, what is their to see and do in the area.

any suggestions would be great..

thanks!!
Vaughn

Posted by
5687 posts

I suggest you pick up a Portugal guidebook. I just bought the Rick Steves Portugal book ($13.99 for the ebook) in preparation for my first trip in May. You can also watch a couple of his videos about Portugal for free on YouTube, though I think they don't cover Porto.

I'm visiting Porto because it looks picturesque, because it was spared damage from the 1755 earthquake (unlike Lisbon) so it should have much older buildings, and because it's an important city in the north. I'm planning to take trains all the way, but I hear driving in Portugal is easy, though it doesn't make sense to drive if you are going just from Lisbon to Porto - train looks way easier.