Please sign in to post.

Travel to Lisbon May1- 11, 2019. Need hotel and art places,

I’m going to a wedding May 3 and it will be at the H 10 hotel duque de Lorie, I haven’t booked my hotel yet, the hotel is $180 a night euro. I’m going to be there 11 nights if I could get a hotel near H10 and still not pay that much money would be nice. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am also an artist And I am very interested in museums and outdoor painting. Landscape painting. Maybe I could take short trips from the hotel to picturesque landscapes to paint. Does anyone have any suggestions like daytrip’s from Lisbon to areas that would be nice to paint plaineaire painting.

Posted by
3961 posts

Highly recommend the picturesque areas of Sintra, Cabo da Roca and Cascais. This area would be conducive to En plein air painting.

Posted by
107 posts

Have you thought about an apartment instead of hotel? I just looked at VRBO and found a 2 bedroom apartment with good reviews that is $108 per night, and it looks close to H10. Here is the link: https://www.vrbo.com/6023089ha

Posted by
8293 posts

When staying in Cascais, near Lisbon, we used to amble down to the water's edge every morning. There are huge, interesting rock formations which would be fun to paint. One I remember was called Devil's Mouth and is very dramatic. Can't remember how to say it in Portuguese but any local resident will know about it.

Edit. I am now thinking it was not the Devil’s Mouth, but something like Buca d’Inferno, i.e., Mouth of Hell

Posted by
69 posts

Thank you for the suggestions. Seems that some of the suggestion about the hotel was deleted something about an apartment, could you re-post the thing about the apartment renting an apartment that sounded good. Also any other suggestions about where to go and paint I’d appreciate it thank you so much

Posted by
2455 posts

One art museum that is unique to Lisbon, I believe, is the Museu do Azulejo, or Tile Museum. Exhibits the full range of Portuguese tile work, from ancient to modern. I enjoyed it a lot, also had a nice light lunch in their garden bistro. Best to go by inexpensive taxi. Using public transit involves quite a not very interesting walk between the closest station and the museum.