Please sign in to post.

travel insurance

Hello - any advice on travel insurance? I made a deposit to Portugal Trails on 7/22 but I did not yet get travel insurance. They gave me [email protected] or visit www.portugaltravelinsurance.com to check out. I am checking with AAA also. my very first time, so any advice on a company to go with? how much insurance to get or what kind? is there a better company to get insurance from? any help appreciated. i leave on september 10 and now my final payment is due to portugal trails. do i need to have insurance before I pay for everything?
thank you
Christine

Posted by
8863 posts

coco42415, most travel insurers require you to buy insurance within a couple of weeks of your initial booking..

Are you looking for insurance to cover cancellation costs and unrefundable deposits? Or are you looking for insurance to cover medical costs and (most importantly) medical evacuation and transportation, in case of serious illness or accident?

Posted by
17 posts

yes, mostly any medical costs for unforeseen circumstances and if anything comes up covid related.

sounds like I would need to buy insurance now and it would be ok? I leave on september 10.

I read the post from Rick Steves and I also did a comparison on the internet. and am getting a quote from AAA.
from Travel Guard $472.15
trip cancellation 100% of trip cost
trip interruption - not sure I need this?
medical evacuation - $500K pr person. I think this is what Need
emergency medical $50K pr person. I think this is what i need.
baggage loss, flight accident - I don't think I need these.
so might be less than $472. Rick steves recommended Travel Guard.

Posted by
7769 posts

You may have waited too long to have "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions." Have you had any medical treatment in the last year or so? There is no substitute for reading every word of the offered policy. No one can tell you that this plan or that plan is what YOU need. Do you have elderly close relatives? Does the plan say that "Covid-19 is a Forseen Peril"? Do you consider Portugal Trails a healthy business that will not go under? Are you on Medicare? Does your medical insurance cover care in another country? We have no idea about any of this.

Posted by
17 posts

yes understood, much is very particular to me to sort out. didn't know if there were any advice or experiences or watch outs. I haven't found anything that specifically calls out covid related. AAA did reference epidemic. i will keep researching