Please sign in to post.

Transportation in Lisbon

We (two adults and two very energetic children, 12 and 9.5) only have three and half days in Lisbon this February due to our schedule. I would also like to spend a day in Sintra and also add a couple of hours for Cabo da Roca.
Would you suggest us to get the Lisbon card or take uber while in Lisbon and hire a car (The driver said he has pass to Sintra mountains) to Sintra and Cabo da Roca?
TIA!

Posted by
882 posts

My remarks are based on my most recent visit to Lisboa - 2019. If any of this seems potentially valuable to you - I recommend research to determine if my remarks remain accurate.
I found the "Lisboa Card" valuable as it provides transportation options in and around Lisbon (trolly, bus, some rail) in addition to many admissions to popular attractions. It also provides transportation to Sintra (via rail from Rossio station) but it does not include admission to Sintra's attractions. The Lisboa Card website details what is included and the card can be purchased at the airport. Be aware that although the card is sold in 24-hour increments, most of the included admissions are for attractions open from 10:00 -18:00 and most are closed on Monday - a good day to go to Sintra.
I would recommend Uber from the airport to your hotel as Lisbon taxi drivers are notorious for overcharging travelers.

Posted by
35 posts

Thank you very much for your reply, blue439!

Do you by chance know that if the Lisbon card also work for the bus from Sintra - Cabo da Roca and the train from Cabo da Roca back to Lisbon?

Posted by
3961 posts

We decided several years ago to hire Lisbon Riders for a guided day tour that included Sintra, Cascais and Cabo de Roca. We found it to be a wonderful choice especially prior to our tour of Portugal. It was a perfect introduction to the history of the country. I have since recommended them on this forum. All the feedback has been positive! For us, we’ve never regretted hiring a guide. Money well spent. Enjoy your stay! https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiS-sb1kcX8AhViADQIHRNPAxMQFnoECCMQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Flisbonriders.com%2F&usg=AOvVaw2VpcjBw9ZIHaLpeWQBmjNp

Posted by
5542 posts

I just bought a Viva Viagem card and used it with pay as you go (zapping) credit. I think I started with 10 EUR and added some more funds later. I was in Lisbon for 5 days and Sintra for 2 days. I was able to use the card for the train to Sintra also (but not for transportation within Sintra. Info on the card is here:
https://www.metrolisboa.pt/en/buy/viva-viagem-card/

In Sintra, I used a tuktuk to go to the Pena Palace and walked to other sites.

Posted by
765 posts

With only 3 1/2 days, you don't have a lot of time to mess around with public transportation. We had the time, and we still exclusively used ubers. In town, uber is fast and cheap -- I think our maximum charge was 5 or 6 euro. Using it with a group of 4 will reduce your cost compared to public transportation, too. Because you have such a short time in Lisbon, I think the tour route is best for Sintra and Cabo da Roca. Via public transportation, it will take about 2 hours each way by train and bus. Try to get a weather forecast specifically for Sintra and Cabo da Roca before you leave Lisbon. The weather in Lisbon was great but it was a lot colder and misty in Sintra and at Cabo da Roca, so foggy that we literally could not see 5 feet in front of us, let alone the water. It was a total waste of time.