Please sign in to post.

Train from Porto to Lisbon

If I'm catching the train from São Bento station to Lisbon is it necessary to buy two separate tickets - one from Sao Bento to Campanha and a separate ticket from Campanha to Lisbon to give myself sufficient time to catch the Campanha connection.

If I book my ticket from Sao Bento to Lisbon - I'm concerned that I may miss the Campanha connection.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by
329 posts

One ticket from São Bento to Lisbon.
The São Bento to Campanhã trip is in a commuter train, no reservations, no time slot, you can take an earlier train to make sure you have enough time at Campanhã to find the correct platform in the correct direction ( South).

Regarding train strikes, they're usually short lived but do happen.
These are the options we faced during train strikes ( from CP).
- full refund
- tickets exchanged for trains at a later date

If train strikes happen on your travel dates I suggest you ask for a full refund and take the bus instead.
Official site for national bus carrier
https://rede-expressos.pt/en

Posted by
1277 posts

Your Porto to Lisbon train ticket includes the commuter train from Sao Bento to Campanha. You can take any commuter train and can choose to arrive early to wait for your train to Porto.

Posted by
28 posts

I note the Urban train stops at Aveiro - does this mean that we have to take the AP connection to Lisbon ?

Thanks

Posted by
329 posts

The Southbound AP trains start at either Braga ( a city about 1 hour Northeast of Porto) or at Porto Campanhã station.

The Urban train from Porto São Bento doesn't always match the schedule of the AP train at Porto Campanhã, in some schedules it meets the AP train in Aveiro that's where you transfer for those specific scheduled trains.

Personally I would take the AP from Porto Campanhã even it meant taking a taxi to the train station ( if the Urban train doesn't match the schedule of the AP train at Campanhã).