Please sign in to post.

Train from Porto to Lisbon?

Hi. A friend and I are doing the first Rick Steves tour in 2020, the first 12 days of April. The tour starts in Lisbon and ends in Porto. We decided to go back to Lisbon at the end of the tour to fly back to the US. My question is about the train from Porto to Lisbon. Do we need to buy tickets in advance? Is it easy to access? Roughly how many trips a day are available? It would be easiest to purchase the tickets once we get to Porto, but if that is putting it off too late, we could buy them in Lisbon, I assume?

Posted by
5687 posts

I trained from Lisbon to Porto (with stops for a few nights) in 2018. The trains don't quite go to the center of each town, so you do have to change at least once, maybe twice. E.g. in Porto, you have to change from Sao Bento station at the center to
Campanha station (just a quick ride) and from there the much longer fast train down to Lisbon. Lisbon has several "main" train stations that are not well connected unfortunately. I wound up using Santa Apolonia station in Lisbon and taking the subway to the center from there. (I stayed near Rossio Square in Lisbon.)

There are fast trains as mentioned taking you most of the way between Porto and Lisbon, however. There are two fast trains the AP and the IC which is a little cheaper but only a little slower. Check the schedules to see the times for various trains. I took IC and regional trains in Portugal, never had a chance to ride the AP. I booked all of my tickets at the last minute and had no trouble getting tickets (May). Unlike other countries like France and Italy, even the last-minute prices for the fast trains aren't bad in Portugal, so you aren't going to save a ton of money buying in advance. For example, check prices now for travel say tomorrow.

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you, all. This is helpful info!