Please sign in to post.

to rental car or not to rental car--that is the question

Hi Everyone - heading to Portugal in a week and trying to decide on renting a car. The plan is to stay in Sintra 2 nights, 5 nights down near Lagos, then 2 nights back in Lisbon. My question is--should I rent a car for the time I am there? Any suggestions/insight is definitely appreciated..it will be my first visit.

Posted by
6113 posts

I always hire a car when I visit Portugal, although you won’t need one in Sintra or Lisbon. Public transport isn’t great in the Lagos area. With a car, you will be able to visit Sagres, the Cape, Aljezur and Monchique easily.

Car hire at this time of year is cheap. Go for it!

Posted by
44 posts

You can easily take a train from Sintra to Lisbon. You'll only really need it in the Algarve to explore. We took a train from Lisbon to Faro and rented a car to drive around and explore the different towns down there. We then went to a few other towns before dropping it off in Porto ( but that was a longer trip)

Posted by
2 posts

Hello! I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. I also wanted to share that I did rent a car and it worked wonderfully. Sincerely appreciate the advice and suggestions. Note - definitely don't drive in Sintra--take an Uber - very reliable and quick!