Please sign in to post.

Thoughts on Itinerary

This trip would be in September/October. Myself and wife, would prefer not to drive. We're fairly young and active, enjoy a mix of history/architecture/museums, country charm, and natural beauty. Is anything here too crazy? Are we shorting our time in Lisbon too much? Making a critical mistake not getting to Porto or the Algarve?

Day 1: Depart USA

Day 2: Arrive in Lisbon in morning, light Lisbon sightseeing

Day 3: Lisbon sights

Day 4: Daytrip to Sintra (train) from Lisbon

Day 5: Daytrip to Evora (train) from Lisbon

Day 6: Lisbon sights, in early afternoon take bus to Obidos. See Obidos and stay overnight

Day 7: Private tour (or rent a car if we're up to it) to see Alcobaca, Batalha, Tomar. Dropped off (or drive) in Sao Martinho do Porto

Day 8: Beach day in Sao Martinho do Porto

Day 9: Daytrip to Nazare (by bus) from Sao Martinho

Day 10: Airport shuttle from Sao Martinho to Lisbon Airport, fly back to USA

Any thoughts appreciated!

Posted by
6113 posts

Obidos can be covered in a couple of hours and I would prefer to stay in Evora where there is far more to see, rather than Obidos.

You are short changing Lisbon itself, but you will get a taste for city, coast and inland Portugal with your itinerary.

Posted by
1669 posts

I agree that you are shortchanging Lisbon. And, Obidos would not be my choice for an overnight stay as you can see everything in a couple of hours. With your limited time, I would encourage you to rethink renting a car. Driving in the central part of the country is easy and rates are usually quite good. Pick up the car outside of Lisbon at a smaller town to save the stress of Lisbon driving.
It will be difficult to see Alcobaça, Batalha and Tomar in one day, especially if you don’t drive it. I would pick either Batalha or Alcobaça and not both with your limited time frame.
I like São Martinho do Porto but be aware that the beach is very calm - almost like being on a lake. So if you want to experience of ocean waves, you really won’t get that in São Martinho. And,again with your limited time, you might want to think about beaches closer to Lisbon.
I agree with your plan to skip Porto and Algarve this time.

Posted by
5 posts

Hi Andrew, that's interesting, you're the first person I've heard who prefers Porto to Lisbon. What about it did you find superior? Thanks!

Posted by
3961 posts

We visited Portugal 2 years ago. We felt 3 nights in Lisbon gave us an overview of the city sites and landmarks. We took a wonderful guided day tour to Sintra and surrounding region. Spent one night in Evora which was perfect.

As far as Obidos, it's a nice base for sites heading north, but we felt the 2 nights spent there was "overkill." Lovely place to come for several hours. It's very touristy and crowded when the tour buses arrive. We completed our tour in Porto and the Douro Valley. We loved Porto. We liken it to a "mini" Lisbon.
Bon Dia.

Posted by
119 posts

Eight days in Portugal may sound like a lot, but it will fly by. Moving from hotel to hotel eats up a lot of time. My advice would be to make Lisbon your base, and do day trips to Sintra and Evora, and maybe Obidos. Given your interests, there are a lot of things to do in Lisbon. There are more than 100 museums in Lisbon (try an internet search using google and popular travelers websites), great food, fado, and lots of opportunities for cultural encounters. There are good beaches on the west end of Lisbon (Cascais), if that is what you want. As mentioned earlier, a rental car is much more trouble than it is worth in the Lisbon area.
Yes, Porto is also a nice place to visit, but your time is limited.